Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camper Trailers, Caravans, Fuel Economy - Advice Please

Greetings,

I'm planning the big trip around this great country for this time next year. Looking for some advice on a suitable setup, camper trailer or caravan.
    Would love to keep the better half in the luxury she deserves but also want to save $'s. I'm happy with a camper trailer, I like the look of Gas_guzzler's off-road camper and also AB's sunwagon.
    My Patrol is an automatic 2012 GU ST (Simpson Edition) and I'm wondering what increase in fuel consumption I can expect with a camper trailer and also with a pop-up caravan.
    Looking at http://www.sunsetcampertrailers.com.au/ or a stainless steel model I've seen. The sunset campers look a lot like Gas Guzzlers but a big $ difference, if you’re reading this Gas Guzzler can you tell me where you got yours?
    Anyway thanks for reading and any comments/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Apollofish

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

PMC (20th August 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Apollofish,

Haven't got answers to your specific questions above, however:

Have a scout around in the second hand bookshops for 'Outback Travel on a Budget' written by a bloke called Brian Sheedy - it is pretty old now, but has a lot of handy tips about how attitude affects planning, which in turn affects costs.

EG, you have three months. What kinds of things might influence the decision to try to see it all in that time -v- spending that time in a much smaller space? There's also some stuff about tail winds etc.

Our local 12V place, Springers, stocks an excellent book on Camper Trailers - I mention that as you'd be able to get the details of the book from the site, and maybe find it a bit closer.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:

jack (15th July 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I get around 15ltr per 100 towing sitting on 110kph. taking it easy you should see better than that. Look for a camper that sets up quickly
    Awnings are a good idea for a quick roadside cuppa out of the sun.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

7. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

jack (15th July 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate, I absolutely love the Sunwagon. Small, easy to tow, same height as the Patrol and goes almost anywhere. The previous owner did do a few mods on it but very easy to set up.

I havent done much tests on it but I was getting 16l/100km with a lot of headwind so I was quite happy with that.

Try to avoid anything higher then your Patrol for wind loads....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mate, on a big trip caravan is the go. I couldn't see ourselves setting up and packing up everyday in a camper. If you're going to be in one spot for a while then I can understand but on the move caravan is the go.

Currently as I'm going around with a 2.8t expanda and Patrol with boat on top I am averaging 19s, 20s.

Pull over for lunch and just jump in and cook then jump out and drive....lololol

I'm converted and would not touch a camper trailer again.lol

..........on the move

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

jack (15th July 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keeping your car in good order and setting up your trailer with even weight across the trailer you will get the best fuel usage

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well from a simple approach if you really want comfort and the long trip forget the camper trailer.

There is more packing up each day with the camper trailer vs caravan. I initially was going for a trailer but on doing some checking out ended up with a caravan. Ok added a few extras but not much from the original specs.

As for fuel, well all depends on how the "lead on peddle" goes. If i sit on a nice 80 - 90 about 15 L /100Kms. Though the van is stable at the 110km/h plus it does hit the fuel a bit, like drops to 17-18 l/100 kms, The whole thing might be more efficient with fuel if I put on the front of teh van a wind deflector like trucks have.
    Here are some specs the think about for her comfort.

As for the van basic specs are also the van is a full off road:

Width = 2.05m (6'9")
    Length = 4.76m (15' 7.5")
    Tare = 1700 kg
    GVM = 2400 kg

Kitchen Internal
    Smev 3 Burner & Sink Combo, hot and cold pumped water
    12/240V 140ltr. Waeco Compressor Fridge
    12 Volt Water Pump
    19l 240 Volt microwave oven, 240 volts via external 240 supply or via internal inverter, has a DTDP switch for power selection.

Bed 2 x Single Beds

Awning: 11 Foot Rollout Awning
    Annex: shade cloth style annex

Storage
    2 x Front Tunnel Boots
    1 x Under Bed Storage access inside van
    1 x Under Bed Storage access inside van or via outside door
    Overhead Cupboards

Electrical
    19inch 12 Volt TV with DVD Player CD/Radio
    3 x 240 Volt double Sockets
    5x LED Down Lights- Internal
    2x Bed Side Lights
    1x External LED Strip Light

12v Battery System
    3x 12 Volt Outlets – 2 Int/ 1 Ext
    2x 100 AH Sealed Batteries
    240 Volt Battery Charger
    Battery Indicator
    Anderson Plug
    1000 Watt 12volt to 240 volt pure sine wave inverter

Solar
    2x 80 Watt Solar Panels
    1 x 120 Watt folding solar panner with anderson plug and battery clips.

Water Tanks
    2x90ltr. Under Body
    Water Indicator
    1 x 90l gray water tank
    Gas
    2 x 9kg & Ring Holders
    Plumbed to Kitchen / Hot Water Service

Standard Inclusions
    Toilet (Porta Potti), Shower & Hand Basin
    Hot Water Service

Other additions on van
    Outside Table
    External BBQ (slides into own compartment)
    2 x Jerry Can Holders
    DO35 Off Road Hitch

Suspension: Cruisemaster Independent / Twin Shock Absorbers

There are a few extras I added to the original included them above.

Also I have a 2005 with ZD30 Di motor and manual trans.

Forgot to add:
    It does Me Myself and I very nicely. Don't have to share.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by outback; 14th June 2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: add extra

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outback For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (14th June 2013), jack (14th June 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jack - old thread but for me a campertrailer, all day every day. 15 min setup, 10 min pull down. Horses for courses and comes down to personal situation. In mine I have 130L water in two tanks, hot water system, 200A/hr battery system, inverter, rectifier, queen bed, can sleep 6, can be off the grid for 3-4 weeks (with twin babies), BBQ, wok-burner, pantry, and at 1500kg GVM adds about 1-2L per 100 on towing. Also has swing out kitchen, slide fridge/freezer so can stop and not even put it up and can cook lunch/dinner, have a cuppa or a beer or three. It honestly takes the kettle longer to boil than to set up. But everyone's mileage will vary so what's right for one won't be for another.

Jas

2012 Silver GU 8. Bullbar, Warn XD9000 winch, snorkel, towbar, roof bars and rack, awning, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ 4ribs, 2" lift - Dobinsons coils and Koni shocks, more to come......

2013 Travelling Wilbury's Cape York Trip - bring it on!

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lorrieandjas For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (14th June 2013), FNQGU (2nd December 2013), jack (14th June 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We only recently upgraded our Van. Now have a concept ascot cross pack, dual axle, 2000kg ATM.
    As long as I don't try and flog it up hills and the like it only adds about 2L per hundred. I get better economy towing with the td42ti than I did with the zd30, but it was an auto so not really comparing apples to apples.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like everything, it is all about compromise. As we all know, there is no perfect 4wd, boat, or caravan or anything for that matter. It all comes down to what you want to do with it. More specifically, where you want to go with it and for how long. e.g.. towing a van up the Old Tele track on cape york vs a trip on the bitumen and bit of gravel to more easily reached places from where you can explore in the tow vehicle. Nisshead's choice of van has a lot going for it if you don't want to head into too many difficult places with it for long periods of time. Outback's setup looks like a really good compromise for a bit of everything and LorrieandJas have covered what they want to do by going for a camper.

I personally am planning ahead for a very similar thing and am slowly setting up my tow vehicle while doing my research. I am currently looking for something small and simple that will follow me into some fairly remote places. As I see it, this means a Camper Trailer with pretty decent suspension. The T-van and a new one called a Patriot Camper are high on my list, but there is still a lot of thought to go into the final decision. Both have loads of features, but again, loads of compromise.

So, three very different ways of doing it there. And that doesn't cover the converted bus or other motorhomes either.

You most definitely also get what you pay for in this game. Suspension and electrics should be right up top on your list of considerations. Join a few camper trailer forum's, trawl through the ExploreOz websites and forums, and you'll end up with the information you are looking for. Oh, and buy a book by Collyn Rivers called "The Camper Trailer Book" or another called "The Caravan and Motorhome Book". I have just ordered my copies and am told that there is almost nothing he does not cover.

And of course, please keep us up to date with how you go and your final decisions….
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast