OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Water Leak - have to own up apparently a requirement from my crusier friends

Whitewater Creek, Kingston, Tasmania (until the wife tell me to come home)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water Leak - have to own up apparently a requirement from my crusier friends

A couple of weeks ago noticed a small puddle under the patrol, but it was night and dark and stuff so didn't lift the hood to have a look,

When I got to my destination about 10 minutes further down the road could hear the water moving around the engine, oh crap not boiling or really hot just water moving,

Thinking that pouring near freezing water (from a tank at the scout camp where I was) into a hot engine decided discretion was the better part of valour and thought I had better wait till the morning to have a look, didn't really sleep that well and by the time I got to it I was pretty stressed, opened the radiator and stuck the old finger in hmmmm no water here just radiator fins, ends up taking about 2 litres to top the radiator start the motor pour in a bit more and think job done .................... but where's the puddle come from you may ask I spent about and hour crawling up and over and under and around the engine bay but could not find it anywhere, by this stage its a pretty constant drip coming down over the turbo and dump pipe and its pretty constant'

drip

drip

drip

drip

Start the motor and it stops dripping - stop the motor and it drips again (I reckon that it was landing on the exhaust and drying whilst running) finish the Scout camp and head home (trailer in tow) luckily I only live about 10 minutes from the camp, stop at the Scout Hall to drop the trailer off and notice the puddle is back so I pop the hood and notice a stream of water shooting out of the engine bay and over my head, used about a litre of water again so top it up and make a dash for home.

So by this stage I am thinking of all the bad things that could happen, head gasket, another damn welsh plug (replaced the one behind the timing case about a month ago - new timing belt at the same time) and a thousand other bad things so decide to be a ostrich and bury my head in the sand hoping it would go away (of course it didn't) so after a week the missus was sick of taking me to work and picking me up and told me to fix the bloody thing.

So here is the own up part I had to ask my brother in law to come and pick it up and take to mate place, so unfortunately saved by a cruiser

So to finish the story get it down to my mate place and pressurise the cooling system and locate a pinhole leak in the coolant line from the block to the turbo, easy fix in the end replaced with a new bit and all good,
    If at first you do not succeed destroy all evidence of ever trying

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ghostrider_oz For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (14th July 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky its a GU, I would never allow a pic of a Toyota towing a GQ on here *L*

At least it was a simple fix
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

a member of the menagerie MC97GQ's Avatar
    Nimmitabel in the deep, deep south of NSW
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Lucky its a GU, I would never allow a pic of a Toyota towing a GQ on here *L*

At least it was a simple fix
    Mate,

I can see a life ban happening here, what are you thinking, there should never be a photo of a tojo towing a Pootrol. At least the trolls on a trailer and we can say that a troll did the recovery and the tojo towed the trailer back to base.

This is of course very tongue in cheek, glad it was a simple fix.

Mark
    Proud former owner of a 1997 White GQ TD42 Patrol Cab Chassis with an after market turbo, now with over half a million k's and still going strong, that's had a heart transplant and now not owned by me