Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dual batteries

Hi guys,

I'm going to put a second battery in my car, I am not sure what sort of battery I will need, I'm pretty sure I don't need one with good cold cranks, so what would a good size/type of battery that will get me good time out of using say a fridge an a few other things? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cheers

Nic

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vsf3fm
    Tappin
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out all purpose batteries ive used them 4 times and they have great service and competitive prices .
    i would be looking for a deep cycle batt or a marine batt incase you do need to crank her over in an emergency, something along these lines would be suitable.http://www.allpurposebatteries.com.a...roducts_id=215

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up pal. I'll definitely ale a look at them. I really do want a battery with better amp hours tho. I have a brand new starter batt and will be using an isolator on the second battery. it will simply be for powering devices. I have one of those jump starter packs for emergencies. From what I understand batteries that have high CCA'S don't necessarily have good power provisions to last and power devices for any given periods of time?

Tappin

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe something like a yellow top optima? Has anyone used these? Do I need a deep cycle battery?

Tappin

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Maybe something like a yellow top optima? Has anyone used these? Do I need a deep cycle battery?

Tappin
    Have yellow tops myself, one for a starter and the other for the accessories..well, when I get her on the road. Thing is the them that they have a lot of reserve capacity, and as they're non-flooded you can lie them down and not worry about acid spill (that and the side terminals come in handy). Don't go for the red top optimas though, they're only for starting and hate cycling
    Whoever disagrees with the saying "Might is right" obviously doesn't own a MQ

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    100ah is the general size most people use, sealed is less messy, I use a Trojan 110ah with a wet kit awesome battery but a bit messy. My battery suppler would not supply a sealed battery to me for under bonnet use incase it exploded, which does happen but not often. Think he was just covering his butt or head office told him. I have no probs putting any kind of battery under the bonnet. Marine style batteries are more suited to off road use with their rugged construction, and as mentioned Optima can be mounted in any position they can even be posted. you can also connect a solar panel to help with extended stays, Deep cycle if not winching.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just trying to find out if a calcium-calcium battery (as linked by megatexture) can / should be charged with a CTEK D250S Dual. All purpose batteries doesn't mention the optimum amperage they should be charged with and CTEK says the D250s is "suitable for all types of lead acid batteries (Wet, MF, Gel, AGM)".
    '93 GQ 4.2l diesel: 3" Koni/King lift, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, 165l tanks, snorkel, roof rack, rooftop tent, CB radio, DIY storage, dual battery setup, & 50l Waeco fridge.
    RIP '95 GQ 4.2l petrol/lpg, RIP '89 Pajero

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flo-w, batteries now are a bit complicated, Cal batts need high amps otherwise they'll gas, and in the MF range, that's a bit of a bummer as you can't top them up, they also DON'T like to be cycled (read..don't cycle them as you'll stuff them in no time). Antomonial (can't remember how to spell it) prefer low amps otherwise they gas so don't hook them up to a high amp alternator (more suited for occasional use such as tractors and vehicles with regulators), they don't mind being cycled however due to the high initial amps used to charge them, they'll gas but as they're open tops you are able to maintain them. In a dual set up, you shouldn't mix different types if it's a 24v system. In a 12v system, you can mix and match but need to have separate charging systems in place. My yellowtop Optima's are the exception, they can be starters/cycling and don't mind high/low amps.
    GEL sealed batteries should only have low amps going into it for the simple fact that they have NO VENT. Otherwords, if the battery is flat and your alternator charges it, it will pump high amps into it and as there's no vent, will bulge, dunno about explodiing unless something is drawing more than that alternator can replace that causes it to continually pump in high amps.
    Most "exploding" batteries I've encountered have had either a factory fault (terminal not correctly sealed), issue with charging system not dropping the amps when charged or "operator incompetence". The latter is when charging takes place, hydrogen gas is emitted and if a spark/flame/ciggie is near it is best to not be the one causing it
    Whoever disagrees with the saying "Might is right" obviously doesn't own a MQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if i were just to hook a second battery up in parallel with a switch between the 2 so I could turn cranking battery off when at camp. Then when I start. Turn switch back to charge aux battery what would be the best. Optima yellow top? My setup would be. Main battery connects in parallel to aux with a switch between the two. Then power from aux to rear for accessories

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a few types of battery combos. I have found that the Agm, at least the cheaper ones are not suited to under bonnent installation they fail far to quickly at least with the heat from a td42. The all purpose types seem to hold up longer even though you can't discharge as far. Personally I would go with two all purpose or marine style batteries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast