Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4.2 turbo diesel intercooler

Hi guys
    fitting a 3inch exhaust to my patrol GU 4.2 turbo diesel wagon and would like to also increase turbo pressure i am told if i increase the turbo pressure will need an intercooler as we tow a 23 foot caravan if this is so wheres the best place to find one i am told there is space under the front of the car for an intercooler,
    thanx for any help

Neil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would put a top mount intercooler on as a front mount will raise your coolant temp by an average of 7 degrees, not much I know but it could be the difference between overheating or not and could be worse with a cheap ebay piece of junk. for quality set aside $1500 for a PWR or a crosscountry or A.R.E. (alluminium radiators and engineering) for mid range set aside about $800 half that if you want crap.
    my opinion is ARE they are top shelf world class standard gear
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    I would put a top mount intercooler on as a front mount will raise your coolant temp by an average of 7 degrees, not much I know but it could be the difference between overheating or not and could be worse with a cheap ebay piece of junk. for quality set aside $1500 for a PWR or a crosscountry or A.R.E. (alluminium radiators and engineering) for mid range set aside about $800 half that if you want crap.
    my opinion is ARE they are top shelf world class standard gear
    How did you work out that a front mount intercooler will raise engine temps by 7 deg on average?
    Also there is nothing wrong with the cheaper coolers.
    I have a front mounted 550x180x127mm tube and fin intercooler (cheaper one) on my GU ute, that keeps intake manifold tempatures around 10-15deg above ambient when cruising.
    And even when trying to cool 30psi of boost the most I have see in the intake manifold is around 78 deg, down from 154 deg pre cooler.
    I have not experienced any increase in engine tempatures with any of my front mounted intercooler setups I have tried, either bar and plate or tube and fin.
    The cooler setup I have at the moment cost me around $400 including pipework.

Marty

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If there is an increase in engine temps with a front mount even by 7 deg it would still be much more beneficial to have cool air over it all the time at the front. Top mount suffer an extreme amount of heat soak as everyone knows hot air rises, so the engine will be cooler but charge temps will be higher. Being that your towing i would go for a front mount or air to water setup. Both should be the largest practical and the water to air needs to have a nice big heat exchanger. Ben-e-boy has stated some very good quality brands their gear is second to none and not being bought on the internet their backup should be better give some of above companies a call and have a good chat to em about what path they recommend.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use a W/A intercooler again.
    They are far too complex for such a simple device, and way to expensive to setup properly.
    I did read recently that Safari are still selling there front mount IC but at $1650 for such a small setup it is way over priced, but is bolt in.
    ASE have a front mount for around the $950 mark also which is proberly better value.
    But it can be done cheaper if you are willing and able to do it yourself.

Marty

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambill View Post
    How did you work out that a front mount intercooler will raise engine temps by 7 deg on average?
    Also there is nothing wrong with the cheaper coolers.
    I have a front mounted 550x180x127mm tube and fin intercooler (cheaper one) on my GU ute, that keeps intake manifold tempatures around 10-15deg above ambient when cruising.
    And even when trying to cool 30psi of boost the most I have see in the intake manifold is around 78 deg, down from 154 deg pre cooler.
    I have not experienced any increase in engine tempatures with any of my front mounted intercooler setups I have tried, either bar and plate or tube and fin.
    The cooler setup I have at the moment cost me around $400 including pipework.

Marty
    there is alot of tech on the ARE website and I'm also getting work done and have had alot of advice given to me by them they have spent 10's 0f thousands in R&D ah have all the paper work to that I'm very picky about the motor on my ute and have done research myself on getting the best for it. I have no doubt that your intake temps are good at cruising speed, but old mate tows a heavy van.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive just finished installing a water to air setup on my gq and it makes a huge difference to intake temps while not effecting the coolant temp in any way. I've mounted my heat exchanger to the bonnet fed by a fan and scoop, also a pump to push the water around. whole system cost me $300 from frozen boost.com and the kit is rated for cars up to 600hp.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johno90, I would be interested in seeing some intake tempatures?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the info much to digest

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johno90 View Post
    Ive just finished installing a water to air setup on my gq and it makes a huge difference to intake temps while not effecting the coolant temp in any way. I've mounted my heat exchanger to the bonnet fed by a fan and scoop, also a pump to push the water around. whole system cost me $300 from frozen boost.com and the kit is rated for cars up to 600hp.
    Johno how about some install pics?
    just had a look on frozen boos, $300 + $170 freight still a reasonable price

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast