OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vehicle Advice Day - Gracemere (Qld)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme 4x4 Sport View Post
    That it is why it is best to seek approval before you spend the money ask Transport first if you can do it, rather then believe a person who says that can Blue Plate it. Because the onus is on you at all times. Yes and the person who has plated the vehicle incorrectly will be investigated and may have his approval suspended. But you are still left with a vehicle off the road and a nice fine.

This is where the problem lies, "transport" don't often know, and if they do, they won't put the advice they tell you in writing, the most you will get normally is "the information is on the web site" , so you are left to sift through hours of text, and interpret what you read, all with little knowledge to commit to any real legal decisions.

I have personally been through a situation where i rang transport to enquire about compliance/registering a project car i was building, i thought i was smart to ring a few days later to speak to a different person ,and got told the same info, this confirmed the info was correct and so i could continue with my build (or so i thought)

A short time later the car was finished, on presentation to transport, i found the info id been told was in fact wrong, the problems this caused were immense to say the least, the next week was spent between transport and police departments, each bouncing responsibility off each other for the certain aspects i required to get my car on the road.

The bottom line is most people dont wish to break the law, but i feel its so damb hard to actually find out the real legal truth, you just give up out of pure frustration and exhaustion, make the best educated guess you can, and hope you made the right choice, i think engineers and blue plates are still the best option to defend yourself against legal issues, and as a vehicle owner, at least you can't be accused of plain ignorrance !
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you are correct in what you say.

If you are building a Project vehicle you must have everything in writing.

First, everything you want to do on Form 1854 adding all the details of your build and then you will get Transports answer in what you can & cannot do, they will also tell you what Codes will be needed to get on the road.

If it is an easy question they will give you an answer over the phone, if more complex put it in writing (Form 1854). That way you have a paper trail.

To start here is Vehicle Standards (they make the rules for Transport) phone number if you wish to talk to them, I have always found them helpful when I have spoken to them. They are there to assist and guide you where possible 07 - 3114 5844.

That phone call could save you a lot of money & heartbreak.

I am even seeking approval for an engine swap into my GU - 6.6 Duramax, so if I get approval and when I can afford it I can then safely do the conversion. There are a lot out there with this conversion done with an LA1 (Engine Substitution) plate tossed on the firewall, this plate is no good unless you have that approval letter from Transport stating approval is given. This applies to all motors over 5.8lts going into full size 4wd's.

Keep the questions coming.

If I can make it a bit easier for people out there I feel I am having a win.

Cheers
    David

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Xtreme 4x4 Sport For This Useful Post:

04OFF (4th August 2012)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123