OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Advice Day - Gracemere (Qld)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only too happy to help. If I know I will give you an answer, if not I will find out and then give you an answer.

Cheers
    David

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Xtreme 4x4 Sport For This Useful Post:

04OFF (26th July 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK David, looks like i have a question/s for you i you know please......

Are drop boxes legal to just bolt in without approval in QLD ?

And are bolt in adjustable rear control arms street legal without approval ?

Thanks in advance !
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, after having many talks with Vehicle Standards (these guys make the rules for transport) Drop Boxes are illegal.

The only way that you could get these approved is by seeking approval from Transport use Form 1854.

Again my understanding is that adjustable rear arms are legal as long as they are stronger then standard.

Adjustable panhard rods are legal. But so they don't attract attention paint them black.

I feel the only time you need adjustable arms or drop boxes for that mater is when the vehicle is well & truly lifted over the allowed height.

Cheers
    David

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a low act. : (

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone told me that the codes used for mod plates don't cover a lot of wheel and suspension changes we're likely to want in our vehicles, but we can get a mod plate using commercial codes that are more specific and a closer match to what we're doing. Is this true?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no Codes in the Queensland Light Vehicle Code for wheel or suspension upgrades.

Suspension can be raised/lowered by no more then 1/3rd of your rebound bump stop height. On a Patrol or Cruiser that would work out between 50 & 75mm.

Tyres can only be increased (at the moment) 15mm larger then what the vehicle is plated for. Track increase on live axle vehicle can no more then 50mm. On IFS this is only 25mm.

The only Heavy Vehicle Codes that you are allowed to use on Light Vehicles with a MB, MC, NA or NB Category are:- D1, F1, G1, G2, G4, G6, G7, K3, K5, Q1, R1, R2. And if they have a full chassis Codes H1, H2, H3 and H4 can be used.

Also keep in mind to use the F1 Code for suspension substitution, the suspension must be approved by Qld Transport first, so that means no coil overs without approval first. But all the bump stop heights must remain as per standard.

If you don't like my answer, keep in mind that it is only my opinion. I am only too happy to answer your questions and if I am in doubt I will call Transport and get an answer.

So just watch out when someone says I know an Engineer that will sign off on your 35" tyres, 6.6 Chev diesel, 6lt petrol, 4/6" lift, GVM upgrade and live axle swap. Yes he might sign off on it for a nice fee, but if Transport do a check it will all prove bullshit and you have wasted good money, and ended up with a vehicle off the road.

The motor sizes I mentioned cannot be Blue Plated unless you have written approval from Transport. On a full size Patrol or Cruiser the biggest motor that you can fit under the LA1 Code is 5.8lt or 351ci naturally aspirated.

If in doubt on any mods fill out form 1854 and send it to Transport, and see what they say.

Cheers
    David
    Last edited by Xtreme 4x4 Sport; 3rd August 2012 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for answers David, so basicly with regard to above, it would appear that just because your car is blue plated, does not guarantee that it is still legal ?

Surley in this case, the engineer who plated the vehicle would be liable, not the owner, just like the person who may write out a roadworthy etc ?

I know some inforcment agencies may put on a driver, the old "your responsible for any vehicle you drive", its kinda funny they say this, just as if they "personally" do a full roadworthy inspection of the government vehicle they get in every time they drive !

The other thing i wanted to ask is , would the usual rear quarter chop (GQ or GU wagon) require any sort of approval ?
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme 4x4 Sport View Post
    If you don't like my answer, keep in mind that it is only my opinion. I am only too happy to answer your questions and if I am in doubt I will call Transport and get an answer.
    I don't doubt you're right. It's getting to the point where we need some sort of conditional registration if we want to go on anything more difficult than a graded road in something more serious than a rav4. Next thing you know we'll also be up for a different licence class too. Where did I put those anti-depressants?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's more annoying is that my truck was upgraded within the letter of the law at the time the modifications were done. Now it's possible they're not legal (maybe just okay) but I did want to do more to it. I'd probably be better of saving the money...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigUnit View Post
    What's more annoying is that my truck was upgraded within the letter of the law at the time the modifications were done. Now it's possible they're not legal (maybe just okay) but I did want to do more to it. I'd probably be better of saving the money...

The letter of the law has not changed (apart from how the body lift and cab conversions are complied now) in many years. That it is why it is best to seek approval before you spend the money ask Transport first if you can do it, rather then believe a person who says that can Blue Plate it. Because the onus is on you at all times. Yes and the person who has plated the vehicle incorrectly will be investigated and may have his approval suspended. But you are still left with a vehicle off the road and a nice fine.

All the questions I answer now are from the Light Vehicle Code dated 1992 and the latest supplement in the book is 1998 and from my experience & questions asked to Vehicle Standards. So there have not been many changes since. They have been working on the National Code of Practice which is still to be introduced.

The Light Vehicle Code of Practice was more designed for 2 wheel drive vehicle, because back then there were only real 4wds owned by people that used them, not like a lot of people now.

And regards mods to the letter of the law, there is always more then one rule to cover anything, so if you think you have it right, does it still comply to ADR's? You can plate one thing & if wrong could make another Code non compliant as well even if it were correct when first plated.

I think for someone with a vehicle that wants to go and drive on roads & tracks out there and enjoy it a 50 - 75mm lift and 285x75x16 tyres (even that size tyre is illegal) are all that is required. But if you want to test yourself & vehicle out in competition or harder places that is another question and another vehicle.

I am not perfect in what I have driven on the roads, but after I built my old comp truck I learnt a lot. Thinking I did it legally, but appeared Transport did not think so. That meant many months in bringing it back so I could use it on the road. And those that saw it often asked how can this be on the road? Answer follow all the rules and know what they wanted and you can build a very capable truck & still use it on the road.

Cheers
    David
    PS Have a great weekend.
    Last edited by Xtreme 4x4 Sport; 4th August 2012 at 08:16 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast