Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU 4.5 petrol Gas Temperature question

Hi
    I have a 1999 GU Petrol gas, Runs extremely well including on hot days, but when pulling my 1850kg loaded caravan on warmish days the temperature wants to climb when im going up hill...Even on a 30deg day on new Rd to Jurien Bay (so not huge hills)the temp went to about 3/4 and have to turn on heater to get it to drop, radiator has had flush and top tank replaced....has anyone else experienced this and any ideas on a solution.

Cheers Dave

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Longshot, but check the hub on the fan mate to make sure it's not stuffed - if it's not spinning up when it's meant to cut in, that'll let the temps soar ... how old is the radiator (appreciate its been flushed, but may need to be rodded or replaced if a bit long in the tooth)??

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks big rig
    I just sat here and wrote you a 10 minute story and when i hit send i found my scared shitless of thunder dog under my feet had knocked out the router lead so this time im gonna keep it short lol..I changed the fan a few weeks back as there were many cracks and hub checked out fine and looks like it may have been changed by previous owner not to long ago, Someone else suggested changing the thermostat but i cant see that helping...yes maybe the radiator is getting a little old, The radiator shop said all was fine when they flushed and changed the tank for me..Thanks for your help.

Dave

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Notiiced that the petrol GU owners that tow are up grading to bigger radiators 4 core aluminium, your trucks just normal as seems most heat up towing
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you have your AC on? there was change at what tenp the AC turned of automatcally via a sender inb the radiator, nissan did say though as long as the temp was in the normal range it was acceptable the question still remains is your radiator ok and the one thing people dont realise is the buildup of crap between the radiator and AC condensor it is a big problem. I used to in a sevice is undo the top rad mounts push the rad back and clean it, I have had then almost half full of leaves and crap

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No air con and temp outside will be alot hotter in summer so i think the answer will be upgrade the radiator, Yes i have spoken to many people on the road who have the same problem, even a few diesel owners i have spoken to say on real big hills they have had to pull over and let temp come down, All clear on the bugs and leaves that's one thing i have learnt traveling clean behind as often as possible, Its amazing how many grass hoppers you pick up.

Dave

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just incase anyone looks at this thread, I wired a switch to the thermo fan so i could operate manually, Placed washers under the rear bonnet hinges to allow hot air to escape, Also modified a shroud around the radiator to allow only outside air to be dragged through radiator and not from the sides, All these made little or no difference... But when i removed the spotlights it improved this problem dramatically.

Dave

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You might try fitting a turbo diesel bonnet with a scoop if that is what you need.
    So air flow was the problem maybe fit some small rectangle driving lights if you need them
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem on my TB45e just the other day in low range up a hill she got hot. Could hear coolant boiling.

I've checked the fan and hub and they appear ok will have to get the radiator checked. How much would it normally cost?
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucus30 View Post
    I have the same problem on my TB45e just the other day in low range up a hill she got hot. Could hear coolant boiling.

I've checked the fan and hub and they appear ok will have to get the radiator checked. How much would it normally cost?
    Around $500 fitted......many variables can change the $ though!
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast