Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Outback Ideas Recovery points

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Here's a product I've been working on for longer than I care to remember, some /most will know my back is buggered
    and I thought What would happen I had a flat out in the Simpson desert, How would I get the tyre/rim down off my roof rack let alone put it back up.
    Its a long way to any hospital and driving out if you "did your back" would be very painfull,
    Hopefully this will solve all problems, Bolted it to my home made roof rack today to trial it and it worked a treat.
    It easily lifted my spare up onto the roof rack. very happy with that, so afew more tweaks here and there and it'll be go to go.
    I'll be talking to the laser cutter to incorperate a weak point so a rim/tyre combo or 50kg is the max it will lift.
    ATM total weight is 15KG but I think I can get it down to just over 10kg with ease.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Bob (8th November 2014), Family4x4 (13th January 2015), menace 2 (8th November 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it hand operated or electric ?...will it be certified for SWL td..?
    the one thing wrong with middle age ...is knowing you will grow out of it !

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    yes it will have a SWL of 50kg max,, it uses an ATV winch motor 12v it was very easy to over engineer using only rated fittings
    When i have the final design I'll get it tested, From memory they will lift 50kg and hold it for 4 hours or so
    if it hasnt sagged at all it passes but a little way off yet, RRP will be around $750,
    I will be using 6mm Dyneema instead of 3mm and the 12v ATV motor is rated at 1500KG so we'll see what the NATA ppl say

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

menace 2 (8th November 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day three dogs just wanted to get a price on your front and rear recovery points for my 03 3ltr patrol with a stock nissan alloy bar. Cheers mate
    03 ST-L auto, Dawes and needle valve, provent catch can, 3' exhaust. I want more than I got

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    PM sent my tee shaped one should fit Just check pic to clarify it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be interested on front recovery points for my 02 patrol with Nissan steel bar soon, did read through the threads the other day but cant remember if I needed to have captive nuts to bolt two recovery points on the front and remove bar which sounds like a bit of effort to install?, currently has hook on drivers side.
    02 GU ZD30 Auto, NADS, Setting up for touring and camping, Best thing is the missus loves driving it to..

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg1 View Post
    will be interested on front recovery points for my 02 patrol with nissan steel bar soon, did read through the threads the other day but cant remember if i needed to have captive nuts to bolt two recovery points on the front and remove bar which sounds like a bit of effort to install?, currently has hook on drivers side.
    you should have captive nuts on left side same as right under hook
    you will need to make the holes a tad bigger unless john has already fixed that problem

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

SG1 (13th January 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
    Will be interested on front recovery points for my 02 patrol with Nissan steel bar soon, did read through the threads the other day but cant remember if I needed to have captive nuts to bolt two recovery points on the front and remove bar which sounds like a bit of effort to install?, currently has hook on drivers side.
    Go into my user profile mate. I put a link in there to a write up on the how too's on these plates. Well on the plate that fitted mine.
    Last edited by mudski; 13th January 2015 at 10:47 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

SG1 (13th January 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Here's a product I've been working on for longer than I care to remember, some /most will know my back is buggered
    and I thought What would happen I had a flat out in the Simpson desert, How would I get the tyre/rim down off my roof rack let alone put it back up.
    Its a long way to any hospital and driving out if you "did your back" would be very painfull,
    Hopefully this will solve all problems, Bolted it to my home made roof rack today to trial it and it worked a treat.
    It easily lifted my spare up onto the roof rack. very happy with that, so afew more tweaks here and there and it'll be go to go.
    I'll be talking to the laser cutter to incorperate a weak point so a rim/tyre combo or 50kg is the max it will lift.
    ATM total weight is 15KG but I think I can get it down to just over 10kg with ease.
    Could you possibly use the cars winch? Perhaps from a roller on the front bar and front of roof rack over the car and a boom off the back?
    In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Family4x4 View Post
    Could you possibly use the cars winch? Perhaps from a roller on the front bar and front of roof rack over the car and a boom off the back?
    Of course you could. But what a pita it would be to setup.

Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast