Thread: Springs aint just springs.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Springs aint just springs.

It has come time for me to upgrade the suspension in Red. (see members rides)(MK SWB L28) and I am seeking as much info as I can before I start.

I just had new rear springs fitted to SHMBO’S (dare I say it r r R Rodeo. ) by a mob in Sydney. It used to ride like a truck ,( Extended chassis LPG and an aluminium pod and he stuff we carry when travelling) , and the new springs have added 4” and it rides like a car. Very happy. But in the process I became more aware of the nice things you can do with leaf springs.

It now has springs for 300kg constant load and an awesome ride. Done by the supplier with different main leaf metal and supporting leaves . It took ALL of the bump and harshness out.

I now move to the play 4WD, Red, and in standard form the rear springs drive the bumps straight up my spine. A good ditch will give you an instant headache. I don’t want to spend the 2k to get its springs done cos I only paid 2k for the whole thing.

Parts, the donor vehicle, has 2” uplift and a 9 leaf rear spring pack—Spine destroying stuff and not as much flex as I would like.

My questions are
    Does anyone have any clever ideas, or know the secret info that (company name?) use , that will let me put my own pack together that will give about 3” lift and keep my spine intact???

Has anyone had much experience with aftermarket springs and suspension for MK's?

Cranky

Can I name the suspension company?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wrote upo a response and lost it.

Guys have played around with pully leaves out to reduce the harshness - but will reduce the height - look at the other patrol forum for more info

I have rear polyairs that set between the spring and chassis - these help a bit with the ride

You can get schakle extenbsions - but can also cause problems with inverting -( i think superior eng do a version that cannot invert)lso for a 2 in increase in schackle I belive you would only get a 1inh height increase.

Mq & Mk are differant - but can be swaped - use the spring & schackle

I have seen posst from a couple of guys converting to coil springs in the rear - a lot of work - and needs eng cert
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching with interest crank, I'm actually looking at setting up one of those seats the trucks have (is it air bag?) that you can also adjust for on road/off road.
    Whoever disagrees with the saying "Might is right" obviously doesn't own a MQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, this is it in nutshell.

If you want softness, carry a part load in the back. Eg Drawers with toolbox of spanner and socket etc. Hi-lift Jack, bottle jack, air compressor, recovery gear, 20L of water for emergency radiator coolant. That should make tje ride a little less hard. FORGET shackle extensions for on road use vehicles.

Try Terrain Tamer for your new 2" lift leaf springs and suspension set. I got a real good price! Yes my MK - FINLY is getting a make over.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

aussiemale (25th June 2012)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiemale View Post
    I'm actually looking at setting up one of those seats the trucks have (is it air bag?) that you can also adjust for on road/off road.
    Youd be referring to a suspension seat,these were avaliable in the MK from factory , hard to obtain but there around

The general consensus is you get more flex with less springs in the pack, but it greatly effects the ride,wether thru the car or height
    There are differences between the petrol and diesel leaf pack due to the extra weight of the diesel engine over the petrol, so something to consider
    For a car that costs only a few grand ,youll spend more than that on its 30 year old suspension getting it to be as comfortable as a latter model
    Im using a heavy duty leaf pack from a diesel in a petrol,itll be interesting to see how it goes ...

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mad, so now you raise the next question, what is better, more flex or going for more springs.
    LOL
    Whoever disagrees with the saying "Might is right" obviously doesn't own a MQ

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had suspension seats - did not like it as it as the max setting was 100k - im 110 - kept bottoming out.

End uo swapping for a standard base - plus gave a bit more room for the NF paj seat that I fitted.
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard it all & everyone's got the best there is, but if you really, really want the "BEST OF YOU 4X4" then you need to look into SAX Suspension : http://www.saxsuspension.com.au/ You will never look back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    I've heard it all & everyone's got the best there is, but if you really, really want the "BEST OF YOU 4X4" then you need to look into SAX Suspension : http://www.saxsuspension.com.au/ You will never look back.
    Sorry, who are you ? hahahahahahah PMLROFWTRDF.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patch697 View Post
    Never look back , why cant handle the serious hammering the wallet copped !!! LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast