Thread: ARB underbonnet air compressor

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ARB underbonnet air compressor

ok, i have an arb air compressor that i am going to fit myself.
    i would like to hear ppls toughts of where/where not to put in under bonnet, any tips you have from when you fitted yours?
    where abouts in the bonnet you fitted your, as im stuck to fiqure out where to put it, not that i have alot of space in the bay anyway haha..
    also any pics you have of the process and finished product would be awesome.
    any other info would be appreciated too

thanks
    willy
    05 ST TD42T 143K/km GUIV 3" dobinsons lift, castor bushes, steering damper, tracklander roofrack, arb rooftop tent, arb awning, BFG KM2 33"(on order), arb compressor(to be installed by myself shortly), annoying ticking noise from engine

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mate not sure about under your hood but I’ve go no space under there for even the smallest compressor i know it’s not ideal but can it fit under the driver’s seat or in the boot if you can’t get it under the hood only way i can see it fitting is if you don’t have a dual batt set up or shifting something in there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well megatexture, you were right, there is F*#@ all room in the engine bay, and yes i do have a dual battery setup.
    BUT, i did find a spot in the rear passenger corner(far right of pic) where you can get the backing plate on if you take the guard and liner off. i have a couple pics so far, havent finished fitting it yet so i will get some pregress pics just incase anybody is in the same situation as i was.

i didnt really want to put in in the cab due to noise levels. the compressor is right next to my second battery and right above a gromet for the cables to go into the cab for the switch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    05 ST TD42T 143K/km GUIV 3" dobinsons lift, castor bushes, steering damper, tracklander roofrack, arb rooftop tent, arb awning, BFG KM2 33"(on order), arb compressor(to be installed by myself shortly), annoying ticking noise from engine

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep i have seen a pic of one fitted to the back side of the vac canister bracket. There is definitely room for one there but you will need to adjust a couple of the vac lines but that is not that big a deal.

I was going to fit mine in there too but ended up putting it in the back in the side of the Black Widow Drawers system. Did it last weekend and very happy with the fit up.

Good luck with it mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just put one under the bonnet next to the drum air filter on my GU 4.5 -- Just relocated the radiator reservoir ( However you spell that word ) further back in the engine bay. Bolted the backing plate to the wheel arch in the engine bay if that makes sense.

I don't have a dual battery in the engine bay, but have a 60amp hour thumper pack wired into the rear footwells directly behind the centre console
    Doubles as a dual system if needed and portable quiet power supply.

It's a tad dark outside at the moment but will get photos tomorrow.
    Last edited by BG0067; 26th June 2012 at 11:13 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply guys, I have been slowly ticking away at mine everyday after work. I finished it yesterday afternoon and will post a couple pics this afternoon. I did put mine right next to the vacuum cylinder against te wheel arch. Was abit of a nightmare in there cos there is no room to move but I got it in. If I have a draw system in the back, I would've definatley put it in there. I do have a dual battery system and I have an isolator switch box where I will be putting a fuse box there for extra accessories (pics to come) bolted to the vacuum bracket.
    Where did you guys connect your wires to for the switch. I connected mine to the cigeret lighter wires directly next the it which has a power and illumination wire. Also insulated all my wired with flexy conduit an electrical tape to help protect things. Cannot upload pics from my phone either.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They are normally fitted as per penGUins truck, might have to make a bracket and drill a hole if you can't find any captive nuts
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the vacuum canisters do anything important? Can't they be removed and provided that the vacuum lines are re-connected then there will be heaps of room for that.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's to regulate the vacuum for the brake and the clutch..? But seen somewhere someone replace it with a bigger tank so defenitly it is important..

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my double piston pump installed there. Run to connections front and rear, seems to work fine, shock mounted. Had to move the vac lines but did that anyway as the catch can and dual batt relays, fuses and additional fuse box is there as well. Not much more room though.
    2004 GU ST 3.0 DDi 2" Tuff Dog Lift, Warn 9000lb, Custom dual Batteries Redarc, Safari Chip + Snorkel, 3" exhaust, NADS, MBC, DIY can, PWR Int,+9" fan, 7" GPS-DVD-TV Igo8 and Ozi with 2cams,6.5" Kicker splits and 6x9", Pillar+ Racetech EGT-PSI, Heated seats, fixed compressor, Arduino dual battery and engine/OAT temp display, 3" Projected 50W HID's with halo DRL's........so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast