Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Law passed to allow hunting in NSW national parks

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Seeing I started this Dingo debate I need to clear something up.
    1 the Dingo is a feral animal, if this is the case why are they free to roam Fraser Is.
    bit confused over this, and yes I love hunting.
    And totally agree about the cross/dingo doing heaps of damage, just killing for fun in packs, not to eat
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day, threedogs,

In terms of bounties etc I think the key is that officialdom declare something, be it feral or not, to be a pest.

In this context, some of the authorities around Warwick have declared dingos a pest, which puts legal obligations on land owners etc, and also offered a bounty. I don't know but suspect there may well be a baiting campaign underway - there certainly is in other regions for foxes.

Two examples that may help, one of ferals, one not are Ducks on Rice in NSW, and certain species of deer, right here in suburban Brisbane. One is native, one feral, but both have been declared pests when specific conditions are met.

On another tack for myself, and my values and ethics, it does matter to me whether an animal is feral or native. But that's personal and irrelevant to the legal position. The fish I target, with the exception of trout and redfin down South, are all native. I fish for food and limit my catch, so that is part of the picture for me killing those native animals........... complicated at the personal level, for some, anyway :-)

Just now on the radio they are discussing habitat destruction as the major threat to Koalas, which are listed in SE Qld as being under a degree of threat. They also have that terrible disease, soggy bottom/chlamydia to deal with.
    Last edited by Silver; 20th August 2012 at 08:06 AM.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frazer island in national park there for no hunting I hate it when a dingo or shark or croc gets hunted just because it bit somone or killed them you shouldn't do those activities if you aren't prepared for the risk. If I was taken buy any animal while hunting or spear fishing so be it life to me is much like my stuff after my post.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Think the term feral and noxious are the same, as its a pest in that area as stated by silver.
    hopefully gone are the days of over fishing, Look on the pub walls with the Photos of men in suits
    with there Cod catch, 5 foot plus. I know I have a pic of Dad and Pa with a pile of rabbits 8 ft high.
    get rid of it if feral, what was it someone said.

LIMIT YOUR CATCH AND CATCH YOUR LIMIT

Just at to look at Port Phillip bay, can't get a feed of flathead there anymore.
    Nearly everything we hunt is introduced, even trout are introduced, bloody English , but we didn't know what the outcome would be.
    Getting off the thread a bit but more hunting areas will be good for the man on the land I hope
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest point is this....

We as people do have the power to control the government. What decisions they make and what rules/laws are legislated is entirely up to us. Each and every one of us. If we don't agree with the government then we should stand up and argue that point.

The feral list isn't made up of animals that have/are causing ecological problems. Primarily, the feral animal list is made up of any animal that competes with a farmers/leaseholders dollar. There are exceptions to this (deer in some places for example).
    Dingoes/wild dogs are on the list because they have been known to take stock. And the typical farmer attitude is "anything that makes it hard to earn a buck needs to be taken care of"
    For so long wildlife had been protected in national parks. But these national parks aren't set up with wildlife in mind, they are set up with people in mind. Rich grazing plains no longer belong to the Roos, they aren't welcome. Far remote waterholes and billabongs don't belong to the crocs, birdlife, Roos and dingoes, they belong to the cattle now. National parks tend to be made up of areas inhospitable to man, un farmable, of no value to "society"
    There are no buffer zones, wild animals enter farmland and get shot, farm animals get into national parks and cause untold damage. If a farmers bull gets through a fence onto park land he kicks up a fuss, "my bull wants to eat that grass, he should be allowed" his argument is that, that one bulls offspring could feed 1000 people.
    But that one dingo he shot, could have controlled a dingo family unit, taught it natural balance, helped control roo numbers, helped keep feral cat and fox numbers down, rabbit, deer, pig, goat, etc would be controlled too.
    That means more food for the cattle he has left, fewer small predators to attack and kill his lambs, less deer and Roos and pigs mean fences stay stronger for longer. And the area that they enjoy camping in hasn't been overrun by introduced species.

Yes one pure alpha dingo has that much effect on the environment.
    Dingoes are the top order predator in Australia, let them do their job, they did it very well for 30,000 years, that's more experience than we all have.

Tap,tap,tapping in your head

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my question for macca was based on his "take what you need" comment.
    If you don't use the animal you hunt for a purpose, why kill it.
    I do believe that many introduced species like foxes, cats, rabbits and pigs all have a use once shot. There is and always has been value in animal hides for clothing for example, the petfood market is huge and full of processed leftovers that make many animals sick.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before this goes on too much longer I do wish to say that I have worked on farms and stations. In far remote places and places not so far from town. Now I live in a regional centre. I have spent weeks and months on end camping in remote places, riding fences, following stock.
    I have shot more than most peoples share of goats, foxes, cats, and wild dogs. Several pigs, lots of rabbits, and even the occasional deer. I don't eat dog, cat, or fox, and wild pig just isn't my thing. My dogs get what they can chew of what ever they want.
    I have shot Roos for food and quite enjoy the meat, I have eaten (not hunted) emu (bit tough), bush turkey, and croc, all of which is considered native food, but European culture won't touch it for the most part.
    I too am an introduced entity, coming from America. And I tell you it's no different there. Wolves and wildcats are being reintroduced to parks to help bring devastated ecosystems Back from the "dead".

I'm not accusing any one person of doing wrong, just trying to show what's on the other side of the fence the farmers lobby and government have been erecting for decades.

If you personally think wildlife need more of a chance to fulfill their roll, make it known among your friends and family, make it a subject of discussion, and make your vote matter.

Don't let it be a one sided debate of what is best for the area you don't live in, don't turn a blind eye to what doesn't effect you today. In as little as 20-30 years time (in your lifetime, and definitely your children's) much of our wildlife could be on the verge of extinction.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe start a lobby or group And gain political support for the cause and educate those in power what is needed to sustain the dingo population maybe like duck hunting in southern states one must be able to identify species and determine if its dog or dingo and only get bounties for wild dog and fines for dingos. As to what id do with dogs well I'm yet to get one pack of dogs had something bailed up barking but couldn't get to them as its rugged rocky country maybe next time
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am acquainted with a number of conservation groups, all do basic lobbying and try to educate as many as we can, however, it is a tough battle considering those that grow are food, is the largest competition wanting eradication.

Facebook is a very popular medium for working together, educating the public, and sharing experiences and ideas.
    Search dingo on Facebook and there are a number of pages, groups and individuals like myself doing what we can for australia's top order predator

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456