Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koxxwasp View Post
    snip...

I also hear from a good diesel fitter that the EGR is there for a good reason and that I should leave it, I am not a mechanic and this is the first oil burner I have had, so why if Nissan spend millions on development and have all the little intelligent engineers do we (the public) think we know better?

You all seem a friendly lot and pretty clued up (far more than me) I am learning heaps on here, however I still think things are better left alone if they are good to start with.

Please don't think I am being smart, I just want to get everything straight before I go messing with her.
    We don't "know better" as such. The issue is that the Nissan Engineer has to work within the constraints of the laws as they exist. EGR being a case in point.

It is essentially only there as an anti-pollution measure but the trade off is that the engine "swallows" a whole heap of contaminents etc at the cost of accelerated wear and performance. Indeed that is why EGR is blocked by the ECU and Engine management at higher engine loads

Blocking the EGR is great for the engine but terrible for the environment.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that info, but does blocking it of affect other things. And if it is only for emissions can just the EGR be blocked off and nothing else?

Agin I am not being smart I am just inquisitive.

Cheers

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that info, but does blocking it of affect other things. And if it is only for emissions can just the EGR be blocked off and nothing else?

Cheers
    The other things it will affect is lower EGT's and slightly better fuel economy and maybe a tiny bit on performance. As for the second q, its just the EGR we block for emissions.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers
    if you have questions and want to know
    just ask away ,where here to help each other

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if I just the EGR thing I should be sweet?
    I have cleaned the MAF sensor, it looked pretty good to be fair, but the oil is very black an its only done 1000k's since it was last changed. I thought I should get into the habit of doing the sensor when I do the oil.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its a diesel. The oil will always be black. Its because of the detergents used in the diesel oil to wash the innards of the engine down because of the fuel used creates a lot more soot in the engine. If its not black you should be worried the oil isn't doing its job.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lets turn the table a bit.....
    Ours is the 2004 GU MAnual and now has 240,000 kms on the clock AND tows a 2.5 tonne caravan, and no mods done to it.
    We did replace the head in february this year, but that was to be expected as there is supposed to be an issue with the glow plug heating and the heads, but hey, with that many km's.....no complaints.
    I am considering putting a fan on the intercooler and maybe put a snorkel on for a bit more air before we start doing the lap, but thats about it...
    Rick

Life is like a box of chocolates

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mines an 04 Auto and after alternator was changed, having boost problems big time, just fitting NADS at the moment. have heaps of stainless blocking plates for Di and CR
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    lets turn the table a bit.....
    Ours is the 2004 GU MAnual and now has 240,000 kms on the clock AND tows a 2.5 tonne caravan, and no mods done to it.
    We did replace the head in february this year, but that was to be expected as there is supposed to be an issue with the glow plug heating and the heads, but hey, with that many km's.....no complaints.
    I am considering putting a fan on the intercooler and maybe put a snorkel on for a bit more air before we start doing the lap, but thats about it...
    Hey Cowboy,
    how much did you spend for the new head incl. labor?
    IT Bitch & Surf Life Saver

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a recall on the first of the zd30 series of engines in the patrols, it consisted of changing oil capacity from a meagre 5.9 lt to 7.4 lt's. Service intervals were decreased from 15,000 down to 10,000 km threre was abreather hose change and I think from memory a PCV valve as well. The easiest way to see if yours falls into this catagory is to look in the vehicle hand book and see if there is a sticker over the capacities section. There should also be a recall sticker on the drivers A pillar but that will probably be long gone or faded. I donot recall the rework number. This started betwwen 12 and 18 months of it's initial release

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast