Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stock Tyre Size and Max Legal Tyre Size - 97 RD28 Patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd take it that it came with the factory wide wheel pack as it has the moulded flares (fibreglass) that look like standard chop on the GQ. Unfortunately I'm second owner and the previous seller had it passed on from a family member to sell. I know the limit in QLD is no more than 15mm over the existing Outside Diameter which is silly because being the 31 inch (265/75) it is, tire manafacturers fail to cater to the large gap between say a 265/75 to a 285/75 without breaking the law if i were to fit them

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys, without meaning to sound like a smarta#se, everyone is sort of correct, and sort of wrong - there are two guides in QLD that relate to vehicle modifications - and as per evey other government guide around, they are vague at best EXCEPT around tyres ... PM me if you want a copy for yourself. They're a bit of a joke as you wouldn't expect to get picked up with 33" tyres (which I have myself), but funnily enough, a mate at my house at this very moment works for Qld Transport and gets me the inside goss and latest updates ... essentially you cannot place tyres on the vehicle that exceed +15mm or -26mm in diameter from the largest original equipment supplier standard ... you can change rim size etc all you like, but the corresponding tyres to go back on essentially have to have the same diameter as a 265/75 ... yes, I hear you ... its ridiculous ... you also can apparently go to 1.5 times the OE width, which again, is ridiculous if you consider this has to comply with the above measurement standard - so what is the point of the government telling you that a 397.5mm wide tyre (1.5 x 265) is legal, but by the way boys and girls, it can't increase more than 15mm in diameter ... typical of the left hand not talking to the right hand - for what it's worth (yes, a rant coming) I personally reckon that we are YEARS away from it actually being legislated in any way, shape or form, and so long as you know the workings of the guides to use in your favour, most boys in blue would let you off "with a warning" ... can't quite recall when us 4wd'ers became a worse scourge to society than rapists, burglars, paedophiles, arsonists, thieves, etc, etc ... can't wait for the first cop to pull me over and start taking measurements, I'll rattle off that "the centre of the headlights are less than 1200mm off the ground ... if that's what you're looking for officer" or "you're right officer, those tyres are more than 15mm increased in diameter, but only until the tread wears down" ... rant complete ...

I feel better, how about all of you??? What was the question??

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

AB (9th October 2010), PT Paul (17th August 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And after that,

My memory was right, fella at work does have 33s on his trol, and was only warned to put on guard extensions.

I'm not saying they're allowed, just that you can get away with them.
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - guard extensions or flares are the one thing in the guides that aren't specifically covered - essentially I believe, because the guidelines are so ridiculous that if you can get on your vehicle what they specify as legal, then you are probably more than entitled (and legal) to put on flares etc to cover them ... sad bunch they are at DOT!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the boys at work used to be a tyre fitter for Bridgestone. The legal way about getting 33s fitted without fouling the law, is to fit a 15 inch tire and rim. This way I could go 285/75 R 15 and only lose out slightly on load rating

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi your friendly local RAC technical adviser may be able to help you.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or try the owner's manual

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Car didn't come with an owner's manual when I bought it from the previous owner and the Gregory's workshop manual isn't much of a help either unfortunately

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I was just reading that they are changing the laws in qld to meet the vsb14
    this basically says you can raise your car 50mm with out being checked by an engineer
    you can lift it upto 150mm if an engineer signs off on it, but tyre size comes down to you can not increase it by more than 50mm of original factory fitted size. so as that patrol comes with 31" you can put 33x12.5xR?? under it as maximum size.

also note if you install long range fuel tanks an engineer should also inspect your car.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Roby, where are you from and what Patrol do you drive?

Tony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12