Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Battery Charging Issue

Hi All,

I have a 2003 GU Turbo Diesel 3.0L. I thought i had an alternator problem so went and bought brand new Hitachi Alternator and battery still not charging. I have swapped the battery and still not charging. Battery charger is charging batteries so i know they are definitely ok. I have checked wiring and all is wired correctly, i have checked fuses and all good. Any ideas what could be causing this?? I have read a few different posts and Alternator Relays are mentioned! Where would i find this in the car?? Please help as i am keen to go for a 4wd tomo. Thanks Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, cant help Ben,

Just sending you a PM now

Cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum.

How do you know it's not charging?, battery light stays on in the dash? or you have measured the output at the back of the alternator and across the battery? or battery goes flat after a period of time?

There are no relays in the alternator charge circuit but a couple of other things to check are.

The small plug that connects to the alternator (with the two small wires in it) check these wires for breaks, it very common for these wires to break just near the plug. Just give a slight pull on the wire.

With the ignition on you should have 12 volts in both of these wires.

Did you reconnect the earth wire to your new alternator?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Yendor, Thanks so much for your reply. I know its not charging as i have used a multimeter and checked the output at the back of the alternator and at the battery. I also have a dual battery system with a battery metre inside the cab which is showing me the same result. I was alterted to the problem when out 4wdriving last weekend as the battery metre inside the car sounded an alarm telling me low power. I am not sure if it could be related but this occured after having to drive through a bit of water on the beach. Not a massive amount of water but i am thinking it may be possible water has got into something. I have reconnected the earth wire. This is really frying my head as i cannot figure out and i think i am now too far involved with it so others opinions would be great. Thanks so much Ben

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Yendor also just a thought the battery light on the dash is not coming on with this issue so could it have anything to do with this?? Does that make part of the circuit?? I have just tested the earth from battery and it is fine. AHHHH this is really annoying lol

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does the battery/alternator warning light in the dash come on when the ignition is turned on? does it then go out when the engine is started?

At a fast idle (just use the idle up switch on the RHS of the dash) what is the voltage reading across the alternator (neg lead of voltmeter on the alternator case and pos lead on the large wire? what is the reading across the battery?.

Have you checked the two wire connector at the alternator as per my previous post.?

Was the replace alternator brand new or a reconditioned one or one from a wrecker?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Yendor, The light does not come on the dash with ignition on or started.

The voltage reading across the alternator is 11.4 with idle up and 11.6 at battery.

Checked the 2 wire connection and it is fine.

It is a brand new Hitachi alternator.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben32 View Post
    Hi Yendor, The light does not come on the dash with ignition on or started.

The voltage reading across the alternator is 11.4 with idle up and 11.6 at battery.

Checked the 2 wire connection and it is fine.

It is a brand new Hitachi alternator.
    So you have power in both wires with the ignition on?

Do your other warning lights in the dash work when the ignition is turned on? such as sub tank warning light?

Check all the fuses in the fusebox inside the vehicle, especially fuse number 26

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Yendor, All my dash lights work expect the sub tank light stopped working just before i had this problem with the charging.

All fuses are fine i have tested them. 26 is fine.

thanks Ben

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just testing my batteries and i have eliminated one from the circuit and the power output has dropped to 7. i am now charging the other battery and trying that one just to make sure it isnt a battery issue. If anyone has any other ideas please help.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast