OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GU Patrol - Clunk when stopping???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have te same with 09 4.8 auto, just had all the checks doe and found out apparently there is a design fault with that type of auto box where it tries to "grab" 1st gear when slowing down.

Nissan aust / international are aware but won't do anything as it does't cause any damage to anything.

1 of the other members mentioned to put a bit of nulon in to help the hears "slide" smoother, haven't done it yet but will do
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oncedisturbed View Post
    I have te same with 09 4.8 auto, just had all the checks doe and found out apparently there is a design fault with that type of auto box where it tries to "grab" 1st gear when slowing down.

Nissan aust / international are aware but won't do anything as it does't cause any damage to anything.

1 of the other members mentioned to put a bit of nulon in to help the hears "slide" smoother, haven't done it yet but will do
    surely over time this must put a strain on the box and cause damage
    what if your going slow down hill and this starts to grab ?the weakest point would be your uni joints
    cant see it not causeing damage some where

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a bit of a experiment today.

When slowing down I put it into neutral, NO NOISE?????

Obviously the trans somewhere as mentioned above?

Any idea on what nulon product to use?

Thansk again all....

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read some where recently about Falcon auto dropping into gear harshly, 1 of the valve body solenoids was the cause and replacement was the fix. hope this helps some what.

Try Penrite rep, they may know if it's a oil related problem.
    might be a common problem an ad-pac fixes
    Last edited by Robo; 15th June 2012 at 10:40 PM.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked mine up today (2004 GUIV 4.8 Auto) which had this clunking during test drive but otherwise mint. The dealer had said they'd fix for me prior to pickup. I got the car today and was given receipts for parts and fitting of all the bushes on the upper and lower control arms in the rear. The clunking is much improved but it's still there. The clunk is right at the point where forward motion of the vehicle stops and certainly feels like it's coming from the back. I'll hit all the nipples on the uni joints and drive shaft with a grease gun tomorrow, see if that makes a difference.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please let me know if that helps mate

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,

I went to 2 suspension places today and they completely checked it over. Nothing to be found, all good.

Any ideas from here???

Someone mentioned an additive for the trans, anyone know what one to use????

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun100 View Post
    Thanks guys,

Yeah Ill head over to intro's shortly :-)

Im just scratching my head with this noise........

It seems as though something loads up when braking then lets go the second I stop...

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyc View Post
    I picked mine up today (2004 GUIV 4.8 Auto) which had this clunking during test drive but otherwise mint. The dealer had said they'd fix for me prior to pickup. I got the car today and was given receipts for parts and fitting of all the bushes on the upper and lower control arms in the rear. The clunking is much improved but it's still there. The clunk is right at the point where forward motion of the vehicle stops and certainly feels like it's coming from the back. I'll hit all the nipples on the uni joints and drive shaft with a grease gun tomorrow, see if that makes a difference.
    Hey guys,
    I'd appreciate it if you two guys could jump over to the Intro section and post up an Intro. The forum likes folks to say G'day. Shaun i note you have been asked already, have a go at it mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'd appreciate it if you two guys could jump over to the Intro section and post up an Intro. The forum likes folks to say G'day. Shaun i note you have been asked already, have a go at it mate
    Will do so - thanks mate.

Shaun,

I greased her up and no different but while underneath, I noticed the bolts on both ends of all four trailing arms were dirty and no indication they had been turned since the car was built. Unless the dealers mechanic replaced them using magic, the receipt I have for the replacement and fitting of these is BS. In addition, I can see chewed rubber coming out from around the front bushing on the drivers side lower control arm. I still think these are the problem.

As to why it only happens on the autos - I have had a TD42 GU manual in the past and hand brake was on the drive shaft, right behind the gearbox, on this it's on the rear wheels. Also, some suggested the brake bias valve but this GU doesn't seem to have this, either?

Further observations, and confirm if yours is the same, but mine is only when you come to a stop and release or reduce braking. ie I come to a full stop and if I keep my foot on the brake as much or more than during braking, no clunk until I release. This would be explained if the bushes were shagged because they'd allow the entire axle to rotate slightly - rotation which would be held until the brakes released at which point the axle "clunks" back to centre. By design, the rear brakes will release before the front.

What y'all think?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey yer i have the same problem with my 07 3l auto it clunks when ya giving it around conres its got me stuffed what it is i am a diesel fitter by trade and cant find anything ahhh i wanna find out what it is thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast