Thread: heavy smoke

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heavy smoke

Hi All,
    I've recently been told by mates that my 3L TD Di is making a lot of smoke when I put my foot down. Mostly when revs are low and I'm trying to pass another vehicle. I've also noticed that my EGT temps are rising above 550C (hitting 1050F as i bought US based gauges). So either i figure i'm either not getting enough boost (i've set the Dawes personally, and i'm getting about 8PSI under 2000 rpm) or the injectors are dirty/malfunctioning.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What colour is the smoke ? Has your fuel economy changed ? original intercooler / if it is its probably leaking ? catch can fitted / if not check intake system pipework and clean MAF and intake manifold ? whats your boost set for max ? Any ideas - some , but need more info . cheers .
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Black smoke is un-burnt fuel.

Too much fuel or Not Enough Boost. Turn the Boost up mate to 11 or 12 and see if it sorts itself out 8psi is very low and below factory settings. peak power is made above 2000 so 8psi at 2000 will be bogging down the motor and fuelling her up. Nothing good about that. Turn the boost up.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    What colour is the smoke ? Has your fuel economy changed ? original intercooler / if it is its probably leaking ? catch can fitted / if not check intake system pipework and clean MAF and intake manifold ? whats your boost set for max ? Any ideas - some , but need more info . cheers .
    Larger PWR intercooler with thermo fan installed, catch can installed although not catching as much oil as I'd like so yes, there is a small amount of oil going through intake manifold, MAF is clean (cleaned twice just to be sure a couple weeks ago), turbo set to 16psi max through Dawes. My mate said the smoke was black. I'm not sure in fuel consumption right now, but I'll be doing a big camping trip next weekend and will get a good idea where I stand on that now.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Black smoke is un-burnt fuel.

Too much fuel or Not Enough Boost. Turn the Boost up mate to 11 or 12 and see if it sorts itself out 8psi is very low and below factory settings. peak power is made above 2000 so 8psi at 2000 will be bogging down the motor and fuelling her up. Nothing good about that. Turn the boost up.
    Hmmm... Between 2000-3000rpm I'm gettin anywhere from 10-15psi, depending on acceleration

I'm also running a MUCH larger air box with a K&N air filter. Could that be affecting things?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try 13 - 18 psi 2000 - 3000 rpm first , see how it goes . have read on the forum mixed reports on the servicable air filters for the 3.0L , causing grief with mafs - hence overfuelling . Maybe also try running a standard paper air filter to try rule it out . Q - what oil you using ? exhaust system size ?
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    Try 13 - 18 psi 2000 - 3000 rpm first , see how it goes . have read on the forum mixed reports on the servicable air filters for the 3.0L , causing grief with mafs - hence overfuelling . Maybe also try running a standard paper air filter to try rule it out . Q - what oil you using ? exhaust system size ?
    Boosted up my boost and she's running better and quicker now, but haven't had a chance to get anyone to look for exhaust smoke.
    Oil is Penrite Semi Synthetic 15W40, first time using it, not overly impressed, although has stayed cleaner longer. Want to try Delo400.
    Exhaust is 2 3/4 from turbo back with hi flow cat and muffler from Beaudesert exhaust.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and MAF is always clean, the pipe (hose) from air box to the point where the Crank Case Breather hose connects is always clean.
    I am however going to change to Nissan air filter this weekend for a 1200km trip with the boys. Will get a very good idea what's going on after that.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If diesel oil stays cleaner longer its not working the way it should. Diesel oils have detergent additives in them to keep your motor clean as diesels "soot" up a lot more than petrols.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Woof (29th May 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Righto, will dump the oil before my trip this weekend. Thanks for the info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast