Thread: Reverse light on GU

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Superoo View Post
    Hi, thanks for the great pics I'll defiantly give it a go.
    Cheers John.
    P.S. so as your pics show your tail lights also work am I better off buying on eBay the replacement left and right fully wired lights and install them with myself running the wires across?
    Cheers.
    HI John

Putting in the new lights is a bit more involved but can be done

Let me know if you’re going to do this and I will try and make a step by step guide. EBay has the lights for around the $130 mark now cheap as chips, to buy the factory ones would cost the same as buying another 4wd
    2008 GU walkabout 3L auto wagon, 2" lift, Nissan winch bullbar, Ironman winch, Roo lite spotties, Scrub bars & side steps,Ferret rear light bracket with two Led work lights.My tip, Always carry a good well stocked in date firstaid kit when 4wding medical help is always to far away.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bushytas For This Useful Post:

jack (17th June 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi busytas, following this post with interest. Would love a step by step on the tail light setup.
    Cheers
    Apollofish

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollofish View Post
    Hi busytas, following this post with interest. Would love a step by step on the tail light setup.
    Cheers
    Apollofish
    i will try and get the time tomorrow mate see how i go

Cheers
    Brendon
    2008 GU walkabout 3L auto wagon, 2" lift, Nissan winch bullbar, Ironman winch, Roo lite spotties, Scrub bars & side steps,Ferret rear light bracket with two Led work lights.My tip, Always carry a good well stocked in date firstaid kit when 4wding medical help is always to far away.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    am following as well, now that I have the manual for the outback drawers so I can remove the side wing kits to access my tail lilghts.
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK here’s the easy way to wire in your lights
    You will need
    5 meters of 5 core trailer wire
    2 plugs 5 or 6 pin I used computer power plugs from inside the case OME would be better but no one stocked them here
    A soldering iron
    A 10mm socket and ratchet
    Philips head screwdriver
    Flat screwdriver
    A knife or wire strippers.
    You will be wiring them to the trailer plug it’s the easiest way I know of
    NOTE: For reverse lights you will need to use the wire from the reverse light on the left hand side and run the wire across to the driver’s side

5 Core Trailer wire

First step is to remove on either side of the 4wd two 10mm bolts that hold in the lights

After you remove the lights and soldered your plugs on run the wires.

As you will see there is a grommet on either side as shown

This isn’t a neat job but it works

Wire to trailer plug

Wiring for 7 and 12 pin plugs use the colour coding to help with lights

Let me know if you need anymore help or would like me to explain a little bit more with any of this

Cheers
    Brendon

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bushytas For This Useful Post:

jack (18th June 2012), oncedisturbed (18th June 2012), SpecialDave (3rd June 2015), Spiv (16th March 2017), Superoo (21st June 2012), The BigFella (18th June 2012), the ferret (19th June 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, thanks for that. This will be a nice little project for a rainy day. Still can't believe they don't come with lights wired in.
    Cheers
    Apollofish

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, thanks for that. This will be a nice little project for a rainy day. Still can't believe they don't come with lights wired in.
    Cheers
    Apollofish
    Yeah same mate its something to do with the ADR, i was told dont know if its true but its because you cant see the drivers side lights on a angle because of the wheel on the back door?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, a mate suggested I use LED's so as not to put to much drain on the electrical circuit. Anyone have any views/ideas on that?
    Also where can I source the globes and globe holders etc? I've had a look on ebay but may be searching in the wrong area.
    Appreciate any advice.

Cheers
    Apollofish

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, a mate suggested I use LED's so as not to put to much drain on the electrical circuit. Anyone have any views/ideas on that?
    Also where can I source the globes and globe holders etc? I've had a look on ebay but may be searching in the wrong area.
    Appreciate any advice.

Cheers
    Apollofish
    I was instructed not to use led as they were not bright enough.

Yes it will put a small drain on the tail and brake lights and when towing a trailer you might blow a fuse BUT i was told by Nissan that one of the fuses either brake or tail, i cant remember now will blow when using a trailer anyway and that they replace it with a extra +5 or +10 amp fuse.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bushytas For This Useful Post:

jack (19th June 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bushytas View Post
    I was instructed not to use led as they were not bright enough.

Yes it will put a small drain on the tail and brake lights and when towing a trailer you might blow a fuse BUT i was told by Nissan that one of the fuses either brake or tail, i cant remember now will blow when using a trailer anyway and that they replace it with a extra +5 or +10 amp fuse.
    The only fuse I’ve ever blown that has given me any problems was the reverse fuses; took the whole car out of action. It wouldn’t start, lost all gears while I was driving and come to a stop. Then I got towed to Nissan who charged me $250 to fix it, of course I told them to piss off because it was only 3 weeks old and under warranty.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast