Thread: GQ dual fuel and second battery

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what dual batt set up are you looking at i highly recomend a "ctek d250s dual" mines been working a treat its a dc-dc 5 stage charger and puts out 20 amp after haveing a typical isolator dual batt set up kill 2 of my batteries ill never get a simple system like that again. you can use it as a solar regulator also. this one cost me like $260 redarc have one also that puts out 40 amp but i didnt have $400 to spend on it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't do all my research yet but I'm aiming for a charger, not a basic isolator. It just sounds like one gets more out of the expansive setup with the right hardware in the middle. I did look at the ones from redarc so far but will try to find out more about the ctek version. Thanks for the recommendation. As far as I've seen redarc also has the chargers with other amp outputs, not just 40 amp.

This might be a stupid question but do I need to run two cables back into the boot of the car (fridge, lights and 240V) or is a connection to the car body good enough?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you will be able to find a good earth in the back without any issues no problems there. you may want to run one large positive to a fuse box it will make it so much easier for future modifications just make sure you fuse it at the battery and the fuse has to be large enough for all the accessories you have running off it .

i just use these ones and solder all one side together with the gauge of wire used from the aux batt. http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...14#Description

just make sure its all insulated good to prevent shorting out on whatever you mount it on
    or baintec make some good better units but you pay for it.
    http://www.baintech.com.au/fuse-bloc...ade-fuse-block
    Last edited by megatexture; 28th May 2012 at 08:28 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

Flo-w (28th May 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little update: The Piranha BTGQ2.8 is installed in my 4.2l petrol/lpg GQ. It suits a 12" battery and sits on the co-driver side next to the firewall facing forward. It's not a quick / easy install: my mechanic took some 2.5 hours to relocate all the bits and pieces. LPG and snorkel didn't help neither... But it's an option which I prefer over the standard ARB or Piranha choices which only suit 8" batteries.

Now the fun part of installing the electrics can begin. I'll go for the "ctek d250s dual" megatexture recommended (20 amp output). Any suggestions for batteries?
    How big (amp) of a circuit breaker do I need?
    I think I'll opt for a Baintech fuse box.
    Any recommendations on where to by cabling, bits and pieces?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow i should start makin battery trays, $180 therez not alot to them, cld easily fab some up haha

hooked in on tapatalk

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea I’ve seen my mates LPG dual fuel set up and it makes a mess of the engine bay and it’s not really stuff you want to play with if you don’t know what you’re doing but glad you sorted it out for a larger batt a 8" wouldn’t have been worth the effort .
    I’ve got 100 amp fuses on each battery and you can pick up wire from any auto shop and bigger is better. if you don’t have the crimps for the wire lugs you can measure the exact length and get the auto place or your mechanic to crimp them on for you more than likely for a fee but you want them on good .

edit: 100amp fuses as i have 100amp wire being used
    Last edited by megatexture; 26th June 2012 at 12:47 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that. I just keep asking if that's ok.

I'm a bit confused with wire sizes: there seems to be diameter in mm and cross section in mm2. It's not always clear to me when people talk about which one.
    Would something like this be overkill for example? http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...SUBCATID=995#1
    Or is this closer to requirements (including the 100amp you mentioned)? http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...SUBCATID=995#1
    I would go for a circuit breaker like this: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SF2266

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bigger is better but over 2m length you will have under the hood voltage drop will be minimal if it were to a trailer out the back on an Anderson plug the larger would be great but may be overkill its up to you. watch the placement of that circuit breaker it looks like it may clog up with a bit of mud and the last thing you want is for it not to be able to trip during a short.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

Flo-w (3rd July 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great advice on the circuit breaker. I had missed that detail.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I thought you brought a battery factory for $1400 seems pretty high IMO, add up the amps of what you think you'll use up size from there, marine style battery handle the bumps a bit better, they wouldn't sell me a sealed battery for under the bonnet saying it might explode but this just covers them OHS issues my aux is a 105 AH trojan with a wet kit.
    Last edited by threedogs; 3rd July 2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: xtra info
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast