Thread: Steering Damper Setup on early GQ how to convert to later setup

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steering Damper Setup on early GQ how to convert to later setup

My Maverick is setup so that the steering damper is connected between the chassis and the draglink. ie. a series one pre sept 89 model. I want to set it up so that the damper goes between the panhard and draglink and use the later model shock absorbers which have a larger eye bush. Do I need to buy two of these brackets and just mount them on the panhard and draglink?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Pa...item2a1f274261

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is yours leaf sprung or coil. If its coil then it shouldnt be a drama swapping it over. I find it surprising you cant get a heavy duty after market one for it.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get a heavy duty one for it but I want it to go between the panhard and the draglink. So because my panhard doesn't have a mount I will need to weld or bolt one to it. I'm not sure on the size of the eye of the heavy duty shockers, I need to take some measurements. Been in the shed all afternoon but its on the to do list for tomorrow.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah the only thing that might affect it is if the steering arm and panhard are different diameters if not you could just use or make mounts out of a peice of angle and some u bolts like the ones you can buy then use the pin/pin hd dampener.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sounds like an idea, will see what I can come up with, there isn't much in those brackets so should be able to fab something up if need be.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stuff all really cut it to length and drill some holes

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what is the difference my maverick is a 09/89 so im curious to find out what i have can you post a pic of your current setup
    GU DX Cab Chassis TD42t non intercooled, 3 inch lift, genuine steel winch bar, 33" Pro Comp All Terrains , 3"turbo back exhaust, Icom IC 400pro UHF, 12inch LED light bar, 42" light bar
    Future mods: Intercooler, more boost, dual batteries, drop links for sway bar

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earlier pre 09/89 have the damper installed between the draglink and the chassis rail, this changed in september when the mount on the chassis was removed and a bracket put on the panhard rod so that it was now mounted between the draglink and panhard rod. Which is how it has remained to this day. It could be either way with your vehicle.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to have a closer look
    GU DX Cab Chassis TD42t non intercooled, 3 inch lift, genuine steel winch bar, 33" Pro Comp All Terrains , 3"turbo back exhaust, Icom IC 400pro UHF, 12inch LED light bar, 42" light bar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had a look at mine mine has the newer steup but is also setup for the old unit as it has a bracket on chassis