Thread: GQ dual fuel and second battery

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ dual fuel and second battery

Hi,

I've a '95 GQ 4.2l on dual fuel. I'd like a second battery which is reasonably sized. My can-fix-it-mechanic tells me he can easily move the parts out of the way within one hour. Problem is I need a decently sized battery cradle (I think 12"). All I found so far (Piranha, ARB) for the petrol version of the GQ is a cradle for a 8" battery which would give me some 55 Amp hours. My more-upmarket-mechanic tells me that install would set me back 1400$ and I'd be better of with a battery pack with similar Amp hours for 750$ installed. But I'd like the second battery not just for the fridge but also as a backup and for emergency welding should I break something in the middle of nowhere. That's why I hesitate to go with the battery pack.

Does anybody know of a good quality battery cradle for a ~12" battery to mount in the engine bay?

I'd also consider a battery between my storage system and the cargo barrier but then it has to be a fully sealed one which according to my more-upmarket-mechanic would get expansive again. Any experience?

Cheers,
    Flo-w

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    battery world can order in trays also try them, maybe look at getting the batt tray size you want from a wreckers and modifying it to suit you rig or alternatively stick a agm or a gel battery in the boot you can probably pick one up for $340 for a 130ah.
    whats the $1400 going to cover moving parts, fitting/fabricating a 12" tray and installing dual batt setup ?
    Last edited by megatexture; 25th May 2012 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the advice. I'll give them a call.
    The 1400$ is for a full install either of a 8" battery in the engine bay or of a gel battery in the boot.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flo-w View Post
    Thank you for the advice. I'll give them a call.
    The 1400$ is for a full install either of a 8" battery in the engine bay or of a gel battery in the boot.
    Wow, he sounds very up market

Taps a lot!!!!!!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What dual batt system is he using? it is sounding like a bit much for my liking but i fitted mine myself it is seriously very easy and a good to know how it is installed in case you have an issue out bush to make reapers

if you cant fit it also ask batt world about fitting also as they do that too

7. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

Flo-w (28th May 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what they use. It's all only good quality as far as I can see.

I do think about fitting it myself due to the two reasons you stated: money and knowledge. Still would prefer the 2nd battery to be in the engine bay. Battery World don't have them for the GQ.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i did this in my 95 ti petrol gas 4.2 about 3 years ago
    all parts came to $550
    try this mob they were great for the tray but i got one from arb a lot cheeper than theirs
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dual-Batt...item1c271d5322
    tray $130
    battery agm $140 from a battery store ask if they have any scratched ones or lable dammager or fallen off much cheeper
    red ark battery managment $100
    cables and battery cable ends its big stuf dont go small,battery terminals ,rear socket and cable to this go 12mill then no power loss well very minimal $180
    hope this helps also you can link the batteries together to achive a higher amp hour without going the largersize tray and battery with the redark manager
    stephen
    Last edited by my third 256; 28th May 2012 at 06:15 AM. Reason: forgot to put in link
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

10. The Following User Says Thank You to my third 256 For This Useful Post:

Flo-w (28th May 2012)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think you missing something what mob?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

my third 256 (28th May 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, my first post. I fitted a 2nd battery to my 12V 1996 SWB patrol so I could have a second start battery and an isolated battery for my winch and accessories. They are linked through a 350A switch (#4721) which isolates the main start battery. Should this battery get flat, I switch over to the spare. I used a VSR (voltage sensitive relay) module(#3099) to charge the second battery. It's been working very well. I fitted a large second hand deep cycle battery cost, box of beers. I made the battery box to fit (same size as the start bat. box) Total cost of job, (VSR= $129. Switch $70) a couple of hours work and about NZ$250. Also used the battery link cable out of a 24V safari to link my batteries. I may have to buy a new battery one day though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your replies.

I came across a tray from Piranha for the 2.8l diesel which sits passenger side at the firewall and is 12". With moving a few parts out of the way this should fit. Price for the tray is around 180$ (same as at that ebay dealer from "my third").

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast