Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thoughts on a mk 2.8 petrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a MK L28 powered shorty added a petronix electronic ignition module and a carbie off a xf falcon and she went like a cut cat. Must of been an early MK so was running 4 speed manual. I looked into the fuel injection side of things but the parts are becoming as rare as hens teeth. If you are sending it away for a freshen up crow do some angry cams for the L28 and if you free up the flow a tad it will respond! Good rig just need to ditch the steering set up and get some coils. Oh wait they call that a GQ!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moose maverick View Post
    I had a MK L28 powered shorty added a petronix electronic ignition module and a carbie off a xf falcon and she went like a cut cat.

Take it ,it was the 2 barell weber carb of the XF ???
    Keen to see the diference on such a minimal mod, what other things were done to fit it up,adaptor plates,(carb size difference)how was it mounted to the manifold ???
    Ive got the standard 2 barell on my L28,doesnt have an issue seeing past 6K rpm

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The adaptor plate was made to suit Cortina, when the truck arrived it was running points and original carbie. It was running rough and needed some love. I used to work for an engine builder for a little while and he put me on to it. It was quite difficult in my area to find someone that could rebuild and tune a carbie well so it seemed easier to go to the wreckers and scrounge up the bits . By the time the work was completed the motor was miles ahead of where it was. The truck was moved on shortly after as it began developing various issues the coolant galleries in the back of the head had corroded out and the heater box was beginning to leak where the feed and return pipes went through the fire wall. I have a GQ also and couldnt afford to keep throwing money at it so I got rid of it. I also cut the canopy off it and put a wall behind the seats with a canvas back on it so it was a tuff little ute. Awesome bush basher !

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have installed a RB30S (GQ carby 3 litre), very happy with the conversion.

May look at converting it to EFI latter on or stright gas

Be aware there are hidden costs for the conversion and a bit og wokr - BUT im very happy
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there much work involved in doing a conversion like yours tank? Obviously I want to get the most out of my L28 but would prefer if it's just a bolt on remedy as don't have much of a clue mech wise.
    Whoever disagrees with the saying "Might is right" obviously doesn't own a MQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12