Thread: Sage TD42 Wisdom required

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sage TD42 Wisdom required

I am in the market for a Y61 Safari/Patrol with the TD42T. Is there anything I should know about this engine and drivetrain that would steer my decision away from getting one?

I appreciate any info or comments about this vehicle.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi from Sydney ! If servicing has been kept up you should have very few problems . My patrol is TD42 non turbo . Suggest oil changes and filter changes every 5000kms and more frequent fuel filter changes than handbook , depending on fuel quality in your area. These engines are a favourite for remote area travel in Aus. Easy enough to work on yourself and any 'bush' mechanic will be at home with this motor.
    For simplicity/cost I've kept away from a turbo and I'm told that if you do have a problem in a remote area, your average mechanic is not going to be able to match the pump output to the turbo boost - wheras they are ok with a non turbo motor.cheers , may be others will give more detail .

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As malcolm said routine maintennance and these things are a dream nothing really that would steer you away from bbuying one

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    Hi from Sydney ! If servicing has been kept up you should have very few problems . My patrol is TD42 non turbo . Suggest oil changes and filter changes every 5000kms and more frequent fuel filter changes than handbook , depending on fuel quality in your area. These engines are a favourite for remote area travel in Aus. Easy enough to work on yourself and any 'bush' mechanic will be at home with this motor.
    For simplicity/cost I've kept away from a turbo and I'm told that if you do have a problem in a remote area, your average mechanic is not going to be able to match the pump output to the turbo boost - wheras they are ok with a non turbo motor.cheers , may be others will give more detail .
    A mild setup is no more complex than your non turbo setup with a few questions it is easily known what to adjust if it ever arises which way to go about it. You should look at a turbo you will never look back.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    A mild setup is no more complex than your non turbo setup with a few questions it is easily known what to adjust if it ever arises which way to go about it. You should look at a turbo you will never look back.
    X2, you should look at a Turbo. You will NEVER go back. it is simply an awesome upgrade. If in doubt in the outback you can turn the fuel down with a single turn of a single screw. No Brainer and any bush mechanic will sort it out for you.

Fit up your Turbo and get it tuned by a good tuner on a Dyno and Never look back. Expect a 30 to 50% power gain. I fitted mine in the GQ with 350,000kms on it and did not hesitate and Love it Love it Love it!.

To the OP, Dont hesitate mate, They are a great engine in a great car. Your looking for a winner.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if the tubro goes bye bye in the bush, I have to manually turn down the fuel? Isn't the fuel ECU controlled in it?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No ecu on the td42t yeah you could do but these things have a boost compensated pump and dont allow full fuel til you have boost so shouldnt be a drama if left at standard your turbo should last as long as the motor.