Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: MK buying advice

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The holes in the floor are called track inspection points, great for slow rock crawling
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ MAD View Post
    Bitta work , but its not too bad and alot worse has been fixed
    The issue is some of the extent of the rust wont be revealed to you start attacking it, it could be moisture under the paint causing the paint to lift or be gapping holes
    The seats in the picture look like the 3 seater style, just replace with bucket seats,not hard factory style bolt straight in
    The big question you need to ask yourself is, how much time and money are you willing to spend,or are you cashed to buy a better example or maybe a GQ

Find out what sorta $$$ the owner wants, and maybe go look at some others
    I guess the main thing I sort of wanted to know is whether it is possible to do - but then I guess just about anything is with enough skill/time/money. Not not particularly cashed up at the moment. In an interesting scenario with the mrs needing to replace her car, and maybe willing to take the exy for a short while, but we still need mobile cars. Don't know how long the mk would be off the road for.

I think I'll give her a call tomorrow and see if she's sold it. Will be taking a risk by not having started the engine - but if it really has been so long since it was last started (judging by the battery) it probably would be a good idea to give it a bit of attention anyway. I guess will just have to hope that it's not a blue smoker. The other alternative is to make another trip out to Wang and pick up some basic jump cables up from kmart or so on the way. Hmmm...

How much current do these things draw on start up?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK TANK View Post
    The question is.

Do you have the skill, abilty, time space tools etc to get it back on the road.

I would also see if you can have a drive of a mk / mq lwb as they are stiffer ride then newer models.

You might not like the ride after spending a lot of time & work.

I like my MK - very happy with it on and off road.

Where are youlocated?
    I'm not too worried about how stiff the ride is (famous last words?). Can always throw more stuff in the back to soften it up. So much space back there!!! But I already have the expectation that it will be like driving something between a tractor and a truck. Yes okay, okay, I might be insulting a few, but if I start with that expectation, then I can only be pleasantly surprised! I have no delusions that it will be as good as the Exy in terms of ride, even though the exy has lifted and much stiffer springs than stock.

As for having the skills, let's see. I've never changed oil before. Haven't done brakes. Know where the dipstick is. Know where to put oil in. Know how to put a socket on the end of a nut. Even have an idea on how a torque wrench operates, but have never used one in anger. My mechanical skills have never been tested (other than basic servicing on the lawn mower) and my vocation has me punching keys on the keyboard all day. So in summary I have sweet FA in the way of skills and I acknowledge that. I hope that I've inherited some capability from my father though, and I figure you have to start somewhere...

Tools, I've got a few of them. Will certainly need more. Don't have a welder (never done that before either). Have spanners, sockets, torque-wrench, and other basic hand tools.

Space is an interesting issue. Don't have any undercover space. Will probably have to park it temporarily on the front lawn, which would be great motivation for the mrs to let me get out and shift the shed down the back so I could then get the mk down the driveway and out the back. Would put it on concrete pavers and then keep it covered over fully to prevent further degeneration.

So don't know where I haven't got a challenge to overcome with this.

I'm located in Ashwood, in the eastern 'burbs of Melby. Know Melton only slightly; bought my Exy from Alan Mance there and have a granny over there. It would take less time for me to drive from work in Port Melbourne out to Melton, than it would to drive from work to Ashwood - which is only a 20km trip.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    The holes in the floor are called track inspection points, great for slow rock crawling
    And to see what it was that made that strange meow/squawk noise when the front wheel bumped over it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And apologies to anyone who had trouble with the pictures. I didn't realise they were so large. They certainly didn't look that big on tapatalk on the phone. Only just seen them for the first time on the big puter.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont be scared to verture into the unknown
    Nothin ventured nothin gained ....
    My best mates ol man was a fully qualified mechanic, the old skool way,no computer stuff,when blokes knew how to fix things not told by some computer screen
    My mate was there by his side on most things,today he couldnt be bothered doin his own oil changes,annoys me to have that knowledge lost

With the advancement of internet and the knowledge around the place youll learn the lingo,the issues, quickly
    Go for it

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manuals are avaible and there is a lot of knoldge around.

I have done engine changes in my drive way - my garage is down the back of the block. With two roller doors the mk wont fitt in, plus there the boat, camping trailer, tip trailer etc in the way.

Just pick your days to work on the truck
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345