Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MK buying advice

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK TANK View Post
    I have a pair of barns doors that we could do a deal on (they are silver as well)

I have a tail gate & lift up window, was looking at itting the doors - but would be a lot of work

Im in melton
    Hey tank, sounds interesting. Melton doesn't take long at all to get to.

I'm a bit frustrated at the moment. I'm writing this from Wang but I can't go see the MK! In convoy with relos on the way to sis's wedding in Wagga.

Don't know when I'd want the doors but we'll see what happens when it's time.

Cheers mate for letting me know.

Andy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate you need to let me know as I just listed them on the other forum.
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK TANK View Post
    Mate you need to let me know as I just listed them on the other forum.
    Mate, if they go then they go. I can't commit it them and I can't ask you to hold them. If it's meant to be then it will happen.

Andy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my biggest problem with this MK is knowing what can and can't be fixed.
    Definite rusting through the sills beneath the doors.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it may be in need of service... Last due feb 2005...

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyExy View Post
    I think my biggest problem with this MK is knowing what can and can't be fixed.
    Definite rusting through the sills beneath the doors.
    Anything can be fixed,its a matter of are you willing to have a go or throw it in the too hard basket ???

Small bubbles of rust can be hard for many, but full sill,floor replacements are a walk in the park to some

What sorta bucks we talking for this love truck ???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ MAD View Post
    Anything can be fixed,its a matter of are you willing to have a go or throw it in the too hard basket ???

Small bubbles of rust can be hard for many, but full sill,floor replacements are a walk in the park to some

What sorta bucks we talking for this love truck ???
    Hey mad, yes I'm sure anything can be fixed. I don't know what I can fix yet. I've never even serviced a vehicle or used a welder. But I'm thinking it's a chance to learns and I've just got to find the right people for advice / assistance to keep me straight.

It's calling to me as a challenge though. I'm collating a few pics and will piece together some questions.

I'll have to chat to the wife as well. If
    I can put the case together sufficiently to convince both her and me, I can look at further options.

I need to get back to Wang with some real jump leads. The ones I had with mr have a little thingy that senses polarity of the connections. But as the MK battery was only putting out 0.3V, it couldnt work out the polarity so let no current through. So couldn't start her.

What's the TARE of the MK?

My Exy has a 2T tow limit so wondering about sticking the MK on the back of a trailer.

No numbers have been actually discussed. But after what I saw, I'm wondering if $500 is generous. But how much would it fetch as a parts car on the market? Gives me something to go on.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The demand on parts and prices can depend on the state your in and the demand at the time
    No or minimal demand , and well you want sell anything, high demand youll be fine
    The diesel gear is getting harder to get , but still not worth the national debt
    The othe rissue is most of us patrol nutters have 1 or 2 or more pats cars and only buy what we dont have,or sometimes even trade parts,works to
    What it worth, well go with the offer and see what happens, if its fair youll get it, if its too dear ask what they want then
    $500 take a punt, the drive trains if in good nick are nearly bullet proof
    If it costs ya total a few grand on the road, youll get your $$$ worth

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, this is better. Easier to type on the work computer than on the mobi.

I guess it comes down to just how much money I'm prepared to pour into it as well. At what point would it be cheaper to get a reasonable condition GQ instead or something.

I need to make a list of what I can see would need to be done. Things like the sills being patched / replaced, maybe that well thingy in front of the windscreen - have got a photo showing rust peeking through the paint on the front of the firewall. I checked the drivers floor pan and it was covered with light surface rust, but appeared to be quite sound. Not sure on passenger side - was difficult to get at that one and ran out of time. Appears to be lots of surface rust underneath at the body mounts, but not sure if its really too bad. The contrast in the photos from the flash makes them look like real shockers. Seats will probably all need to be replaced. Drivers appears to have collapsed some at the cushion. The rear is dropping to the left when not supported by the pillar bracket. There's evidence of lubricant weeping at most joints in the drivetrain. Don't know if that's just because its been sitting in varying temperatures for so long.
    The odo has only 247,000 km on it. Next service is set for 250k. It does mention on the sticker that O/T should be checked next service. Haven't worked out what that is yet.
    Found a few stray wires under the dash, so suspect bits have been in an out so would need to look at electricals - but I guess I would anyway.
    Real kicker I guess is the engine. I wasn't able to jump it because my cables were too smart to be useful. But this time I was told that it can't be remembered just when the last time it was that it was turned over. The battery electrolyte was just shy of the top of the plates and was dead as a dodo (0.3V). I suspect its been sitting there a long time since last crank. So don't know what colour smoke she'll blow.
    The engine was black - like its had oil mist or something on it that's combined with dust etc to create a coating. That was over the head and the hook at the front end etc. Probably should have got a better pic of that. So don't know why all that stuff would be there.
    Oh it's definitely N/A - no potato linking the exhaust to the inlet.
    Not sure about roof damage. The roof sills are fine. But the carport, which is elevated by bricks, fell onto the roof one day.
    Does the roof have vinyl on it or something? Something was definitely cracked and peeled.
    The paint work is definitely cracking all over the body.
    Whilst I was there water was dripping out of the sills. I don't know how it was actually getting into them. Is there an internal path down the A-pillar, or from the front windscreen well to them? Water was dripping on the roof, but there was also a drip onto the windscreen. Given the condition of all the window seals its quite possible its getting past all them as well.
    Bah, work is interrupting. But really I've got to get my thoughts ordered as well.
    One thing going for it is that its still in rego. So I would make an arrangement to keep it in their rego until I can get it ready for roadworthy (can do that with pseudo-family )
    andyp

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hopefully works. is the image too large?

sill beneath passenger door. penetrated by rust.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast