Thread: Pendo pad

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pendo pad

Hey all we recently signed up to dodo for our phone and internet and in the package we recieved a pendo pad tablet. Has anyone heard or dealt with one of these as i'm wondering if i can set it up as a gps at all to use in the 4wd with off road mapping software or something

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have not heard or dealt with one, but just had a quick look on the net.

I can't see why you shouldn't be able 2 set it up to run ozi explorer or similar.

Cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't have a GPS chip in it. You might be able to with an external USB GPS but I wouldn't recommend it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why wouldn’t you recommend it ? an external one wouldn’t be any less accurate then a built in one, just depends if the software will allow it.
    let us know how it is as its a more functional size then an ipad im yet to see an ipad mounted in a car that isnt clumsy or in the way. im not a fan of ipads but im yet to see a decent android pad

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because it doesn't have a gps built in you would need to use a USB one. In order to do that u would need to hack on drivers to the tablet - something that I know from experience isn't easy.

I agree in a car the 7" form factor is amazing, but the pendo pad is a really low spec tablet. My suggestion if you really want to go down the road of a tablet is to spend about $250 on a new fully speced (at least tegra 2 or equivalent) to ensure it can do what you want relatively smoothly. There are 7" toshibas, samsungs and acers out on the market that will do the job much more cleanly and easily.

My advice sell the pendo pad and use the cash from it to buy a properly speced tablet otherwise you will spend so much time and money getting to to do a poor job of what you want it to do that you may as well have bought one that does it all the better.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to matthewperk For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (24th May 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    why wouldn’t you recommend it ? an external one wouldn’t be any less accurate then a built in one, just depends if the software will allow it.
    let us know how it is as its a more functional size then an ipad im yet to see an ipad mounted in a car that isnt clumsy or in the way. im not a fan of ipads but im yet to see a decent android pad
    Have a gander at my build thread, I threw up a pic yesterday of the ram-mount with ipad installed onto the dash, it has changed slightly as I switched the rear mounts around and now sits lower than the pic. basically no movement and doesn't interferre with passenger / driving / transfer etc
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewperk View Post
    Because it doesn't have a gps built in you would need to use a USB one. In order to do that u would need to hack on drivers to the tablet - something that I know from experience isn't easy.

I agree in a car the 7" form factor is amazing, but the pendo pad is a really low spec tablet. My suggestion if you really want to go down the road of a tablet is to spend about $250 on a new fully speced (at least tegra 2 or equivalent) to ensure it can do what you want relatively smoothly. There are 7" toshibas, samsungs and acers out on the market that will do the job much more cleanly and easily.

My advice sell the pendo pad and use the cash from it to buy a properly speced tablet otherwise you will spend so much time and money getting to to do a poor job of what you want it to do that you may as well have bought one that does it all the better.

Hey Matthew, good reply and thanks for your contribution.

It'd be great if you headed over to the Intro section and posted an intro on who you are, what you drive and where you are, We like folk to say G'day.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oncedisturbed View Post
    Have a gander at my build thread, I threw up a pic yesterday of the ram-mount with ipad installed onto the dash, it has changed slightly as I switched the rear mounts around and now sits lower than the pic. basically no movement and doesn't interferre with passenger / driving / transfer etc
    mmm probably the best I’ve seen yet but still not a fan also my wife would kill me that’s her only line of sight down where it is haha.
    i would still want something less obstructive than that and i dont think it can be done with an ipad.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    apparantly there is a fold down roof mounted 1 available now so it acts like a roof mounted dvd player would
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    mmm probably the best I’ve seen yet but still not a fan also my wife would kill me that’s her only line of sight down where it is haha.
    i would still want something less obstructive than that and i dont think it can be done with an ipad.
    Troy, you are lucky in the fact you have a GU dash, at least you can replace the original radio with an all in one unit, GPS, Radio, CD......etc and it sits at a nice view-able height. If only i could get a GU dash to fit in the GQ
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast