Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any Archers out there Hunting or Target

Howdy guys n gals.
    Does anyone out there hunt or target shoot with a bow. I used to shoot with a martin Cougar 50-70lb compound bow. But got fat n lazy and stopped and sold it bummer. now im getting fit again i ewant to get back into archery. theres a place near me called Archery Park thats a scrub property with targets set up on different trails, from bunny size to buffalo size.
    Soooo what to get do I try recurve back to the basics, i was shooting bare bow with the compound (ie no sights) was much more accurate. Whats peoples thoughts on the two. I dont think youre allowed to have crossbows any more i havent seen any advertised anyway. Did know a bloke with a 150lb compound crossbow years ago was very cool but as loud as a .22 i wont be in the market till July when back from holidays. Any fellow crow eaters into it and where do you go. Would love to have a go on pigs or goats down the track.

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi mate never been in to bow hunting I am with rifles though. I believe you need a cat A licence to get a crossbow or air rifle these days.I heard bow hunting is the way to go for deer I wouldn't mind giving it a go
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to macca86 For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (13th May 2012)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like me.. only im not getting fit again haha just would love the time to get out more i don’t think you will need to get back to the basics itll come back prity quick. Nice weapon of choice same one i have haha i never really got into it seriously just shoot at anything that moved
    and yea from what I’ve heard no x bows also
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (13th May 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the end dission all depends on what you want to do and your style. I go Bow hunting over here for deer (Red or fellow), goats and rabbits. For a laugh I tried pigs but that was a bit shall we say interesting and ended up with me having to stick 150lb of pissed of pig without ang dogs so I won't be tring that again. I don't use sights just the arrow and the string as sights get a bit of a hammering in the bush round here. My hunting bow is a 65lb compound and a friend of mine who makes trad bows (english long bows) has made me up a 15-20lb bow for target and giggles.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive just read a couple of articles about pissed pigs chasing people up trees hahahahahaha. I think i'll go the compound again for arrow speed and power. only ever took a couple of bunnys and a deer at a mates farm, not much challenge there though. What brand of bow do ya use?

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A cheap and nasty perfect line bow. After shooting some very expensive bows I decided that I was just as happy with a cheaper bow taking into mind the country that I hunt in(New Zealand Beach forest manly sub alpine, steep hills ect).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10+ years ago a mate had a browning compound bow. Once when he drew it back it snapped and smashed him in the face, was funny as......... the look he had didnt bleed him but a cracking bruise hahahahahahaha they shoulda stuck to firearms

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    10+ years ago a mate had a browning compound bow. Once when he drew it back it snapped and smashed him in the face, was funny as......... the look he had didnt bleed him but a cracking bruise hahahahahahaha they shoulda stuck to firearms
    even then I wouldn't use them. Remington or Winchester for me if buying american wouldn't mind a sako or tikka but I like the Remington look.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also hunt with a Perfect line compound bow and have done so for the last 6 years on and off. No better feeling than stalking into the middle of a mob of goats with the bow. I also shoot firearms in centre fire and muzzleloaders which has made me a little lazy but to get the stalking skills up the bow is perfect. I havent yet taken a deer with the bow but have done with the rifle I think the ultimate would have to be Sambar stag with the bow. Might happen one day. A 2 year old daughter and work tend to restrict the time available for stalking.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hay bud.

I'm looking at getting into bow hunting, need something new and exciting to do. Liking the concept of stalking a beast and skill involved in bow hunting. Dont have a weapon of choice yet, but going for couple trial days to see if I like it and what bow I need. Once set up would def be interested in doing a few trips.
    Saving Yotas Since Creation

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GQ snail For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (19th June 2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast