OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: SWB 3.3 Diesels - advice please!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SWB 3.3 Diesels - advice please!

Hi there

I am seriously considering a diesel 3.3L SWB Patrol.

I owned a 1975 SWB Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser 4.2L petrol/gas for a short while and loved it to bits. However, it wasn't reliable and should have been a 'project' for someone. I don't trust gas any more because I don't understand them and don't think I could work on it. I am now looking at a later SWB Nissan, but would consider a Landcruiser. They seem very similar.

I want the SWB so that I can take the back off, and maybe fuel economy. Most of the SWBs seem to be non-turbo, but turbo 3.3s do come up occasionally. Economy seems to be 25% better, and more power with the turbo. Is it worth waiting? Is there any reason not to got for a turbo?

I want to do some off-roading and quite a bit of travelling. Is the turbo a source of unreliablity? I also want to try vegetable oil in it. Anyone know any fuel consumption figures for the 3.3 SWB? I am assuming about 14 litres/100km.

People are asking $4000 for a decent looking 85-89 model ('negotiable'), but they can be $2200 - $5000.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Malcolm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldnt go vegie oil in a turbo diesel, dunno why i wouldnt ,just wouldnt
    Probably when you look at turbo rebuild costs and other issues just doesnt weigh up the fuel cost saving Vs turbo rebuilding
    The SD33 can get economy around 10L/100Ks and the SD33T can be not much more 12-13L/100Ks
    Even on that alone you really wouldnt bother with the vegie oil
    Reliability, well these ol donks can regularly see way beyond 500,000Ks and never be apart, they are as reliable as a pair of ol boots
    The main issue, they need to be maintained regular,5,000K oil changes is normal
    Fuel filters around the $35 mark, steers many of regular services
    They are getting long in the tooth now , and many are well beyond their lifespan
    For a few grand,youll snag something reasonable and excellent value for money
    An SD33T motor alone will cost most of that, they are in high demand , and many a complete car cheap are raided for the motor
    The later MK have the turbo motors and the 5 speed gearboxes, these in good nick priced well are good value, but a noon turbo 4 speed MQ is just as good , and value for money
    The factory turbo motors can handle 10 PSI boost without touching the IP (injection pump) and can go beyond that with the fuel pump turned up
    They are a good motor
    Get a good example for a few grand or maybe more , and youll never look back

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MQ MAD For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (15th May 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that MK MAD.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Corey!

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!