Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q1

you probably have a dodgy had break switch on the leaver

or

you don't have enough brake fluid in the reservoir.
    the hand break light will come on if you are low on fluid.

did you replace the break hoses?

*edit*

should have read you fixed it
    Last edited by munter; 14th May 2012 at 01:16 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKWDW View Post
    How did you find out it was the body mounts. Just visually inspecting them or were they loose cos i'm having the same prob with my car
    yeah just a visual check, but also you can lift up the carpet and pop the pugs off where the body mount is and see if there is movement on the bolt (scuff marks) but usually there isn't any tell tails like that.

just stick you head underneath and if they look perished... they are.

like i said.... it's a factory option

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah same here, just figured where the noise was and had a look in that area.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    Hand brakes mechanical not hydraulic so fluid won't effect it. Will be the switch stuck think you'll need to remove centre console to access

Tappin N Crappin
    Yes it is mechanical, but I agree with munter.....the handbrake light will light and stay lit if you have low brake fluid in the reservoir
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GQ, I'm not sure what the answer was, as I pulled my console out and sprayed contact cleaner on the switch ad cleaned it up with a wire brush and also removed the cap and topped up the reservoir, although it was still above the minimum line. The handbrake switch was pretty corroded so I'm guessing that was the issue.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post
    Q1: If brake fluid and hand brake switch are ok, there is vacuum switch on the left hand side of the alternator (TD42) with. Small vac. hose attached to it from the vac. pump at the back of the alternator, check the hose for cracking or the switch itself might be faulty..

Ade
    Is the little metal tab on the handbrake arm that pushes on the switch bent up or broken off?
    I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKWDW View Post
    How did you find out it was the body mounts. Just visually inspecting them or were they loose cos i'm having the same prob with my car
    The body mounts on Silver had got to the point where the small barn door would sometimes touch the rubber bumper over rider.

If you take a look at the mount, there is, from the top, the body. Then a rubber bush. Then the chassis outrigger or whatever it is called. In Silver's case next there was a gap. Then another rubber bush and a big steel washer dangling in space :-(. The space is mostly created by the failure of the washer between the chassis and the body.

I had the lot replaced with factory - yes, a lot less noises now, and feels different to drive. The bloke who did it has been on here, did a good job at a fair price, in my opinion, is well set up to do the work, and is based in Morayfield. PM me for details as I don't know what the rules are. I have no association with this bloke or his business, except getting this work done after seeing his post re certifying/engineering mods.

If you are going to do it yourself, it is worth searching on here as some other forumites gave me some great how to tips.

I got the lot replaced, as I wanted everything back to the right height/spacing from the chassis. According to internet searches away from this forum, some people do interesting things including just doing up the fastenings after shortening any crush tubes. There have also been some mutterings to do with bath plugs :-)
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the hints on the body creaking. Same problem with mine. Will take a look...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123