Thread: Cold start problem on 2.8 GU Patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok.
    Still having problems getting her to start in the morning. Once shes been run no probs.
    Have noticed that the primer pump on top of the fuel filter can be pumped a couple of times before it goes firm. Does these mean i'm getting air into the system when left for a period of time? and if so whats the best way to bleed it out? No obvious signs of a fuel leak
    If this fails can anyone suggest a next step forward?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    easy fix new glow plugs mate

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    new Glow plugs were the first thing I did, so unless they're faulty I need to come up with a new solution.Will check fuel lines foe air leaks this weekend

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem solved Should have taken my last post more seriously! It seems the new glow plugs fitted back in May have ALL turned out to be faulty!!
    The insulation on two of them has cracked & fallen off, and they are all showing more pitting and carbon deposits than the origional ones I took out which were probably 12 yeras old!
    Will have to go back thru bank records to find who I got them from and give them a serve. Cheap Chinese crap no doubt that they put a heafty mark-up on.
    Pity i didn't do the advance plate first off and save myself a good few dollars

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheack the engine heater timing it will be less then 5 second therefore its giving trouble in starting and also check deisel filter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 752 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also it can be the nozzle sprayer. When I rebuild my engine only one nozzle work properly. So in my case it was a reason of cold/hot start problem.
    Last edited by Wine_maker; 24th July 2012 at 06:36 PM.
    I'm Alexander and I'm the happiest owner of GQ Nissan Safari in the whole Central Asia

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
    Problem solved Should have taken my last post more seriously! It seems the new glow plugs fitted back in May have ALL turned out to be faulty!!
    The insulation on two of them has cracked & fallen off, and they are all showing more pitting and carbon deposits than the origional ones I took out which were probably 12 yeras old!
    Will have to go back thru bank records to find who I got them from and give them a serve. Cheap Chinese crap no doubt that they put a heafty mark-up on.
    Pity i didn't do the advance plate first off and save myself a good few dollars
    Hi Hippo,
    Thought I'd let you know your not the only one to fall to poor quality glow plugs, and also let everyone know if they get the cold starting problem and they have new ones in, still dont count them out.

I've had a cold starting problem for a few weeks and havnt had a chance to look at it. Now history of my car is, the engine was fully rebuilt 16,000km ago, with new glow plugs thrown in 10,000km ago because I kept the old ones in at the time of the rebuild, which I realised later were buggered. I done a trip to Birdsville which was about 4000km and the car started playing up half way there. So these glow plugs only lasted me around 7000km.

I checked them yesterday and only one glow plug is ok, the other 5 are buggered, so I got 7000km out of a set of glow plugs...

Just a warning to others out there, dont discount anything, new parts or not....

cheers,
    Shaun...
    1998 GU - RD28t > TJM Bull Bar > Dual Batteries > Boost & EGT Gauges > Turbo Timer > Minor Engine Mod's.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Guys, if your glow plugs are failing so early you need to connect a test light or voltmeter up to your busbar and confirm how long the glow plugs are on for (the warning light in the dash is not a true reflection of how long the glow plugs are powered up for).

It sounds like they are on for too long and are burning out.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Guys, if your glow plugs are failing so early you need to connect a test light or voltmeter up to your busbar and confirm how long the glow plugs are on for (the warning light in the dash is not a true reflection of how long the glow plugs are powered up for).

It sounds like they are on for too long and are burning out.
    I've checked this months previous, and I also checked it this time round. As per Nissan, they stay on for 20seconds untill the engine is started, then continue to stay on untill the engine reaches 50 degree's.

Sometimes the timer relay can pack it in i'm told, and your glowplugs stay on 24/7. Mine don't, but i'll continue to check. Or find out what a timer relay is worth and just replace it anyway....

Cheers,
    Shaun...
    1998 GU - RD28t > TJM Bull Bar > Dual Batteries > Boost & EGT Gauges > Turbo Timer > Minor Engine Mod's.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123