Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cold start problem on 2.8 GU Patrol

Hi there.
    Have a cold start problem with my '99 GU 2.8 Patrol. Always started just fine but has been getting worse over the last month or so.
    She now take 2-3 goes @ 30 seconds or so of turning over before she'll start when cold/cool. No problems if engine is hot.
    Have replaced Battery, glow plugs as well as air and fuel filters. Don't know Volts at busbar.
    Have tried turning ignition on and off several times for glow plug light but makes no difference.
    Read somewhere about installing an advance plate and 'o' ring under fuel pump? is this the next thing to try.
    Any help gratefully recieved as i'm at the end of my knowledge of diesel engines.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you put your foot flat to floor while turning over?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. Try using the Air Bag light as the glow plug light. Turn it over when the Air Bag light goes out and see how you go. I have a 2000 GU 2.8 and if I crank it after the glow plug light goes out it takes a while to fire up. If I crank it after the Air Bag goes out it starts easy. I don't use accelerator. Worth a try, might save you some drama...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replies
    1. have tried both foot to floor and off, doesn't seem to make much difference. Maybe slightly better with foot off? will try both out over the next few days.
    2 Since having starting issues have been leaving ignition on longer in hope this would generate 'more heat' in glow plugs. at least until air bag light has gone off. Have even tried multiple sets of 'glow plug light' turns of the ignition.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check your voltage at the busbar, before spending money or trying other things.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I've got 10.5V at the busbar under load.
    She defiantly starts better if you keep your foot off the accelerator while she's turning over

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate all I do, after researching the car prior to buying it second hand, is wait til the airbag light goes off and start it (foot off accelerator).
    If I ever experience any problems, the first thing I do will be placing the Nissan supplied spacer under the injection pump.
    10.5V underload (ie cranking) is OK in my eyes, so the battery should be good.
    Dave
    99 GU 2.8 TD
    Brisvegas, QLD

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of a rumor about 2.8 cold starts. Never witnessed it tho. It involves the pump and where it's mounted. A simple fix is mount the pump on a bracket situating it away from the surface. Pretty sure it's a heat sink/cold sink prob

Whitewater Creek, Kingston, Tasmania (until the wife tell me to come home)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always used the electric antenna instead of the glow plug light to time it, when it hits the lower setting hit the key (foot off accelerator), just had the timing belt changed and found that the fuel pump had been set to fully retarded, after advancing it back a bit it now starts alot better cold & hot
    If at first you do not succeed destroy all evidence of ever trying

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
    Hi there.
    Have a cold start problem with my '99 GU 2.8 Patrol. Always started just fine but has been getting worse over the last month or so.
    She now take 2-3 goes @ 30 seconds or so of turning over before she'll start when cold/cool. No problems if engine is hot.
    Have replaced Battery, glow plugs as well as air and fuel filters. Don't know Volts at busbar.
    Have tried turning ignition on and off several times for glow plug light but makes no difference.
    Read somewhere about installing an advance plate and 'o' ring under fuel pump? is this the next thing to try.

Any help gratefully recieved as i'm at the end of my knowledge of diesel engines.....
    G`day Hippo
    I did the plate for a hot start issue but basicly my car was doing the same as yours here is a link to what i did i included pics of how its done aswell http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ot-start-issue since doing this i havnt had a problem cost is around 45.00 and is a really easy fix
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast