Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel filter change on td42

Hi there all,

Was planning to change the diesel fuel filter on the gq yesterday for the first time (by me), but nothing goes to plan.... Gregory's instructions go something like this:

Drain fuel from filter
    Disconnect wiring from bottom of filter
    Remove water trap
    Unscrew filter
    Instal new filter and re-fit water trap
    Bleed.

So, couple of questions on this:

1) Draining the filter: When I try to drain the filter using the tap on the bottom, only a tiny trickle came out (less than 5ml). I guess about 300ml should come out judging by the cavity of the new filter. Should I just unscrew the whole filter with the water trap still attached, and have lots of cloths beneath to catch the fuel? I can then disassemble on the bench and clean.

2) Bleeding: When I eventually get to bleed the system after putting the new filter in, I can't see a bleed screw which Gregory talks about. I read on a previous thread that you just pump the primer until resistance is felt. How does the air get out tho or does this not matter?

Its a black top td42, with the fuel filter on driver's side of engine compartment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1) I don't drain the filter mate. Take the hoses off, disconnect the wire take it off and put it over a bucket and remove the water trap and drain fuel out. Re install the filter and top housing upside down on the mount to easily remove the filter from the housing afterwards.

2) There should be a little plastic hand screw on the top housing of the filter. unscrew it a couple of times, pump the primer, you will hear air come out, when fuel starts coming out then close it up and keep priming until the plunger goes stiff and you should be good to go.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks AB, that way sounds a lot easier, and less messy! Will give it a go.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did mine the other day too, i just disconnected the wiring, unscrewed the filter then over a bucket took the water trap off and swapped it to the new one and screwed it back on, cracked the little white platic hand bleed screww and pumped away till fuel came out, tightened it, kept priming till it went hard, and away she went. I am just hoping that it cures the problem i have had a few times where the injector pump seems to starve for fuel.
    If you going through hell...Keep going

GQ wagon locked - lifted - 33's, 02 SS ute, XB coupe 460bb, KTM530

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed my filters today but now the old diesel 4.2 drops the revs right down and seems to labour at idle?

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like its starving of fuel if it only happened after the filter change.

What brand/type of filter did you use?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is another blind fuel filter at the pump. Many people have never changed it but well worth it, I hear that if it is blocked up and you remove and replace you can unleash significant gains in power.

It is a small gauze thimble in the front banjo bolt on the front side top of the pump. I will come back here with some good pics from other forums when I get on my computer later.

I have some fuel issues with my GUIV right now that might see me have to get my pump rebuilt damn it. I have gone looking for this gauze tryin to solve my problem but alas it has been removed from mine already.

Watch this space later tonight
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a full filter kit from sydneyfilters on ebay for 80 bux and the two cooper wz115 oil filters were a full inch shorter than the others and the max series fuel filter wz332nm was shorter aswell?
    Last edited by oilpond; 22nd October 2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Rum

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thepaperboy -> Patrol4x4 View Post
    This is a TD42 Pump in a GQ
    Gauze Filter can be found about 20mm under the level of the bolt head.

Nissan Part Number is 14371-R8025A
    Bosch Part Number is 14612501016N1

This is from a thread I posted in on outerlimits and was for my GQ, but should be the same on a GU

This "thimble" filter is only about 3-4mm in diameter.
    Clean up around the top of the injector pump
    Looking straight down from above.
    The banjo fitting on the inlet section of the pump is the one that is closest to the front of the engine and has a steel fuel line which runs to it via the gap between the back of the pump and the block. The line that feeds the fitting runs between the pump and the block.
    Undo this bolt, and remove it.
    There should be enough movement in the banjo fitting to push it clear of the hole it feeds beneath the fitting, or you can just work through the hole in the fitting the bolt came out of (harder).
    I have a set of Snap-on dental picks I use for this (I check it every service) but a length of small diameter, stiff wire, with the last 2-3mm bent at right angles should do the same job, or a piece of the stainless backing strip you get when you change your wiper blades is good too ( I save everything)
    Now feel down inside the pump, about 15-20mm deep, and try to hook the filter out. It is a stainless gauze filter (approx 3mm deep, 3-4 mm in dia), with a brass ring around the top edge.
    Note;I have heard stories that some patrols do not have this filter, but between me and my mates in total we have had 6 TD42's from 89-06, and all of them had this filter.
    Clean it out with compressed air and replace it.
    I found this very Helpful.

Cheers MR
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

ForgeCreekFerals4x4 (22nd December 2015), oilpond (22nd October 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have had to clean this out a few times on my GQ easy job. I would rather have it there than remove it due to the fact it still catches crap that if it wasnt there would go into the pump. Injector pumps are very sensitive bits of gear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast