Thread: GU lift on a GQ ?

Thanks
    Thanked 20,754 Times in 8,577 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo01 View Post
    I was looking at doing the body lift as I have been told you are NOT allowed to do a 4 inch suspension lift in South Australia without an engineers cert, but you can do 2inch susp and 2 inch body lift, this came from ARB here in Adelaide, as well as the RTA inspector when I transfered the rego over as my baby came from interstate.
    I would be very surprised if any body lift in any state would be legal. Not sure about SA, hopefully someone can advise over there.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo01 View Post
    I was looking at doing the body lift as I have been told you are NOT allowed to do a 4 inch suspension lift in South Australia without an engineers cert, but you can do 2inch susp and 2 inch body lift, this came from ARB here in Adelaide, as well as the RTA inspector when I transfered the rego over as my baby came from interstate.
    True storey. A 2" suspension lift and a 2" body lift is legal without an Engineers Certificate. Go for it.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (6th May 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,754 Times in 8,577 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    True storey. A 2" suspension lift and a 2" body lift is legal without an Engineers Certificate. Go for it.
    Cheers MR, I always thought body lifts were illegal, they're not the safest things in the world!!!....We'll there you go!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so if i was to get a GU lift kit for my GQ how would i get the correct load rating springs for my setup. i have a arb steel winch bar with winch will have dual batterys soon and drawers in back with fridge. i will not be towing. unless its a camper trailer which will be very rare. im looking at getting OME

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I found this on transport SA's Web Site..

Raising
    Vehicle ride height can be increased by any combination of the following three methods. However, it
    is important to note that a total lift of more than 50mm requires prior approval and a report from
    a CPE.

Tyres / Rims

The fitting of rims with a different diameter to those listed on the vehicle’s tyre placard is
    acceptable, provided that the overall diameter of the alternative rim/tyre combination is not
    greater than
    15mm over the largest combination or 15mm smaller than the smallest combination specified on the
    vehicle’s tyre placard.

If you intend to fit rim/tyre combination outside the 15mm limit, then an application must be made
    to Vehicle Standards for an Exemption from that particular section of the Road Traffic Act and a
    report from a CPE supplied with the application.

Any replacement tyre fitted to your vehicle must also have a load capacity equal or greater than
    the minimum specified on the manufacture’s tyre placard.

Suspension

When raising the ride height of your vehicle by changes to the suspension, you must ensure that the
    original amount of rebound travel is maintained. The rebound shall be limited by the same method as
    the original manufacturer (i.e. limit straps or shock absorber full extension).

The vehicle ride height cannot be raised by:
    - Extended or adjustable shackle plates on leaf springs.
    - Relocating a leaf spring on the opposite side of an axle to that of
    the vehicle manufacturer.
    - Spacer blocks mounted above or below the coil spring.
    - Wedges or blocks located between the coils.
    - Spacer blocks mounted between the top of the suspension strut
    and vehicle body.

Body Lift

The body of a vehicle can be raised by up to 50mm by the fitting of spacer blocks between the
    vehicle chassis and body at their mounting points. The blocks must be manufactured from steel,
    aluminum, or metal of equivalent strength. In some cases the steering shaft may have to be extended
    as well as longer brake hoses fitted.

If there is any alteration or replacement of the original steering components, then the
    modification requires prior approval from Vehicle Standards and a roadworthiness inspection upon
    completion. A report from a CPE may be required.
    completion. A report from a CPE may be required.

General Requirements
    When the ride height of a vehicle is raised, the vehicle must still comply with all legal
    requirements, including:
    - Lighting – the raising of the vehicle will affect the height of the vehicle’s lights
    and reflectors and these have to remain within specific boundaries. Care must be taken to ensure
    that the raising of the vehicle results in the vehicle not complying with the legal requirements.
    - Mudguards – There is a minimum height that the
    front and rear mudguards, or mudguards with mud flaps, can
    be above the road surface. For a vehicle with off-road capabilities, the distance from the
    mudguard/mud flap to the ground cannot be greater than 300mm and 230mm for other light road
    vehicles.
    - If the vehicle’s ride height is raised when a tow bar
    is fitted, the height of the tow ball should be corrected to
    maintain its original height prior to the vehicle being raised.

If you intend to raise the vehicle by over 50mm by either one or more of the three methods
    mentioned, then an application must be made to Vehicle Standards prior to the commencement of the
    modifications. A Statement of Requirements will then be issued identifying the vehicle, the
    intended modification and any applicable requirements, including a requirement for a report from a
    CPE. On completion of the work and certification by the CPE, the vehicle would be required
    to pass a roadworthiness inspection. A fee is payable for the inspection.

The CPE would have to address the modifications, the stability, handling, braking ability and
    verify the modified vehicle can safely
    be driven on public roads.

The full version can be found here

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/...ide_Height.PDF

So technically a GU spring would be illegal in South Australia does it mean I will abide by the rules... of course I will I am a responsible person..

COUGH COUGH COUGH
    I am spending my children's inheritance on my 92 GQ PATROL .. and by the time they get it, it will have way to many kilometers on the clock, and it wont be worth anything

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mojo01 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th May 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    soz for the double post here but since 50mm is 1.9685039 inches , so a 2inch lift is not legal either, so not even the guy who inspected my vehicle knows the rules. LMFAO
    I am spending my children's inheritance on my 92 GQ PATROL .. and by the time they get it, it will have way to many kilometers on the clock, and it wont be worth anything

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mojo01 For This Useful Post:

AB (7th May 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvpsi View Post
    so if i was to get a GU lift kit for my GQ how would i get the correct load rating springs for my setup. i have a arb steel winch bar with winch will have dual batterys soon and drawers in back with fridge. i will not be towing. unless its a camper trailer which will be very rare. im looking at getting OME
    funny you should ask this, I was at ARB this morning getting a quote for them to do my suspension, I was told that if i was to go with the GU springs not to go any higher than the mediums as the full heavys would make it a very harsh ride, however they did seem rather reluctant to fitt gu springs onto my gq... they will do it however, but did state that caster will also have to be fixed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was there myself also today caster correction should be done no matter what really in any 2" lift. im going to fit it myself so its only supplied so i cant see them being reluctant to sell me them haha

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured they may as well fit it for me while they are fitting my other goodies, too old cant be stuffed lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123