Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GU lift on a GQ ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question GU lift on a GQ ?

I have seen GU lift on a GQ a few times now on these forums and as I am planning to do a lift myself on my GQ in the next few weeks, I was wondering if I can get some clarification from those with the know how, before I get yelled at by " she who must be obeyed " by spending to much money..lol

Atm my GQ is stock height with 16inch rims and Unley School bus roadies ( NOT FOR MUCH LONGER)

I have been told that if I goto a 3 inch lift I must fit modded arms at the front to comply with RTA rules here in SA and I must also get the vehicle inspected but a 2 inch lift is legal and I dont have to worry about inspections etc. so now I am totally confused that I can get more lift from a GU lift vs a GQ lift could someone please clarify this please.

Also if any of the guys here in Adelaide know where I can get this done I would love to know.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 2" GU lift gives a GQ approx 3" lift. Dunno if you need castor correction or not, gen no with a 2" lift. A number of places in Adelaide depending what you go for. ARB TJM Opposite Lock(Sth RD) BigO4x4 Salisbury have all sorts of options

Tappin N Crappin

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what is the difference between the 2 lifts ? Is it just different springs, shocks etc ? that cause the lift to be higher ? or am I missing something here LOL

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's it a GU just sits a bit higher than aQ need to hear from AB who has done this exact lift to see weather any other component change was required when he did his

Tappin N Crappin

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I am confused is that most of the shock/springs lift kits say GQ/GU eg : http://www.superiorengineering.com.a...oducts_id=6101

I am not looking for hardcore rig, just one thats high enough to get me through some of the water like the goyder river crossing on the way to Nhulunbuy, as my baby is an EFI petrol 4.2 on gas, Im not worried about the camper its been through there before behind a Navara, but that was a diesel, never had water flowing over the bonnet of a petrol 4x4

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure ya got a water tight snorkel mate!! It's just the length that differs they bolt up exactly the same

Tappin N Crappin

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, yeah the GU's are heavier than the GQ's so a 2" GU lift in the GQ will bring it up closer to the 3" mark. I think mine went to about 70mm ish...

Very easy job mate and you don't need castors or anything extra from the normal 2" lifts. I did put the new OME damper on but not even sure you need that to be honest...Someone else may have to clairfy that bit.

I think the link you have from Superior is just the type of kit to suit the Patrols and upon ordering you would need to advise them what model you have and what your needs will be. Have a think about what things you know you will put on your car later on. I got the OME 2" GU lift and got them to make it quite hard. At first it was a nightmare to drive when it was all stock but now that I have added steel bull bar, winch, rear drawers, fridge and once It's all loaded up for a trip it rides beautifully!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Mojo01 (5th May 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah ARB are going to get that Job, I aint gonna do it LOL The Snorkel that is. dunno what I am going to do with the suspension yet
    Last edited by Mojo01; 5th May 2012 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can also keep your rear stabiliser and release function which is handy too!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is just so much to take in, and I aint gonna rush into it, will make sure 100% and take in the experience and mistakes of others, eg I know a mate stuffed a pair of tough dogs on his patrol when he did not trim the bump plate, I also notice some others here have had the same issue, at least I dont have to worry about that one lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast