OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Air Jack vs Lift Jack. Or other alternatives?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks for sharing mudrunner, i always wondered about these. i spose it all comes down to finding the correct inflation levels?
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Changing a CV in the bush with the Exhaust Jack.

Would never go any other way. Note the wheel went under the car for safety and we ran the winch cable out to the side as we were on a side slope in this pic. Do that with a High lift or Bottle jack and feel safe? Good luck.

Imagine the same photo in a Rutting Mud hole or Sand???? Murphy's law will alway put you in the worst spot when you need to fix it mate

Exhaust Jack 100% of the time, it is part of my Standard Recovery Equipment.

to do this with a Hi Lift i would have to lift the car from the front bar and allow for full suspension articulation to lift the wheel off the ground! That is a Long Way Up! Note the Exhaust jack is straight under the diff and the diff is nearly flat. all good and nice and safe.

**Note in the top pic that the rear suspension is not even articulating!! the car is nearly in a flat stance as it would sit in your driveway!!
    Did you really broke your cv..??? You played it hard boss...really hard! What are the common causes cv to break anyway?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Changing a CV in the bush with the Exhaust Jack.

Would never go any other way. Note the wheel went under the car for safety and we ran the winch cable out to the side as we were on a side slope in this pic. Do that with a High lift or Bottle jack and feel safe? Good luck.

Imagine the same photo in a Rutting Mud hole or Sand???? Murphy's law will alway put you in the worst spot when you need to fix it mate

Exhaust Jack 100% of the time, it is part of my Standard Recovery Equipment.

to do this with a Hi Lift i would have to lift the car from the front bar and allow for full suspension articulation to lift the wheel off the ground! That is a Long Way Up! Note the Exhaust jack is straight under the diff and the diff is nearly flat. all good and nice and safe.
    I nominate this thread for 'The Best Safety Pic'

Amazing!!!!Occasionally, I come across a thread that 'floats my boat' - and this is one of them. LOL.

From what I see in this pic and the comments from MR, he is not a risk taker and does what it takes to make his vehicle safe.

I'd suggest all Forum members and visitors have a really good look at this pic. You might learn something - as I did.

I have personally used both, and without any doubt, favour the 'exhaust jack'

With any form of lifting equipment, safety must be paramount and people should not be risk takers.

Complete concentration is required when using any lifting equipment- without being affected by alcohol, drugs or both, fatigued, hung over or dehydrated - to name a few.

I am so impressed with this thread that I'm publicly acknowledging MR, by offering him a prize - a pair of my pre-loved, washed, dried and folded spandies.

Well done, mate. Top effort!

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (4th May 2012), Maxhead (4th May 2012), MudRunnerTD (4th May 2012), rusty_nail (4th May 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strewth i aint goin for no 1st prizes hahahahhaha

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    Strewth i aint goin for no 1st prizes hahahahhaha
    They do stretch, if required - that's why I got them. lol. PML
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    I nominate this thread for 'The Best Safety Pic'

Amazing!!!!Occasionally, I come across a thread that 'floats my boat' - and this is one of them. LOL.

From what I see in this pic and the comments from MR, he is not a risk taker and does what it takes to make his vehicle safe.

I'd suggest all Forum members and visitors have a really good look at this pic. You might learn something - as I did.

I have personally used both, and without any doubt, favour the 'exhaust jack'

With any form of lifting equipment, safety must be paramount and people should not be risk takers.

Complete concentration is required when using any lifting equipment- without being affected by alcohol, drugs or both, fatigued, hung over or dehydrated - to name a few.

I am so impressed with this thread that I'm publicly acknowledging MR, by offering him a prize - a pair of my pre-loved, washed, dried and folded spandies.

Well done, mate. Top effort!

Take care out there.

Rossco

But everything is so much clearer and easier after a few cans

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (4th May 2012), NissanGQ4.2 (4th May 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissPat View Post
    But everything is so much clearer and easier after a few cans
    Remind me to stand well clear when you get yer exhaust jack out hahahahahahahahaha

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    Remind me to stand well clear when you get yer exhaust jack out hahahahahahahahaha
    C'mon mate, I reckon I might need a second set of lungs to blow the sucker up...HAHAHHA

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (4th May 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    thanks for sharing mudrunner, i always wondered about these. i spose it all comes down to finding the correct inflation levels?
    The correct inflation levels are really basic. You can inflate an exhaust jack off idle on a diesel! i did in the pics above! might have given it a slight rev but its not hard. In terms of amount of inflation! inflate till the car is high enough then stop Just like any other jack! They have a non-return valve so just make the adjustments and on your way. They do tend to go down very very slowly like most other jacks and every 5 or 10 minutes on a job like an emergency CV we just tickle her up a couple of inches whenever it needs it.

We even adjusted the height of the diff to stop the diff oil running out the swivel hub during the repair by lifting that little bit more
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post
    Did you really broke your cv..??? You played it hard boss...really hard! What are the common causes cv to break anyway?
    LMAO Ummm????? Yes i definitely Broke the CV

VVVVV A Close up pic of a nearly serviceable CV

This can be done with Big Tyres Spinning off the Ground then slamming into the ground with a bit of a Whack! Bugger!

Here is another shot of the setup of the Exhaust Jack and Winch rope tether. the tether was out at about a 60degree angle to the car to stop us rolling sideways when the jack lifted the car.

Fun Day.

Rebuilt the front end the following weekend then went and smashed the Highmount the weekend after that! Damn it.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 4th May 2012 at 05:54 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast