Thread: Deaths from towballs

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gags View Post
    I am ex-army and have been involved in engineering numerous vehicles with self-recovery winches and also dedicated Recovery Vehicles. Army has a whole trade stream (Recovery Mechanics AKA Recce Mechs) who's job is to recover vehicles whether they be bogged, battle damaged, or have a malfunction. Army has a Recovery Mechanics Handbook that is basically their bible for recovery and it's actually got some really good guidance in it. Army does not do dynamic recovery using snatch straps but instead uses winches to conduct controlled recoveries. When planning a recovery the Recce Mechs calculate the total pull required which is dictated by a number of things.
    lol . . . spent 9 years as a ARes Armoured Corps . . . then 5 Years in RAAF Reserves as a Firefighter . . .

Did my 'A' Vehicle M113 Drivers Course in 1988, and then my 'B' Vehicle Light Drivers Course in 1989, my 'B' Vehicle Medium Ridged in 1990. The 'B' Vehicle Course to this day, I would have to say has been my 4WD'ing Base knowledge, and for every 5hrs of driving . . . we would had done 1hr of Recovery Operations . . . Tirfor Hand winch, hydrophilic winch, 12/24v electric winch's . . . from mud, sand, creeks, rivers, hills, tank traps, ditches, tree bridge mishaps, side slope recoveries, side roll recovery, vehicle stabilisation etc etc.

Between the 'A' and 'B' vehicles . . . it taught me to respect the capability of my vehicle, look, gauge, find another way, winching is better then braking, as field repairs are a bitch.

The training was next to none, got very dirty, had great fun, and walked away with skills which I still use in my own 4WD activities, in my Firefighting Employment, and in My Medic Rescue Roles, even passing them onto my 21 yr old Son who did his 1st 4WD Winch Recovery this year.
    Last edited by Grant209; 11th September 2020 at 08:17 PM.
    Grant

Penrith Region
    Sydney NSW.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one Grant - if you're in Penrith then I'm guessing you did your Chocco time at Kingswood? I was there for 3 months in 1991 at 133 Sig Sqn as a part of my first year of OJT as an Electronic Technician - nice spot!!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gags View Post
    Nice one Grant - if you're in Penrith then I'm guessing you did your Chocco time at Kingswood? I was there for 3 months in 1991 at 133 Sig Sqn as a part of my first year of OJT as an Electronic Technician - nice spot!!
    Big Gags Na Mate, by the time I moved to Sydney in 1997 . . . Kingswood had closed down over the period of 1993-94. The only Military facilities left in the Penrith region when I moved up from the South was 1 CAMD at Orchard Hills and 5 Combat Engineers in North Penrith.

Units I seved with were:
    5 Years - 8/13th VMR - 4/19th PWLH Albury Wodonga.
    1 Year - 5th Combat Engineers North Penrith.
    3 Years - 1/15th RNSWL Parramatta/Holsworthy.
    5 Years - 22 Sqn City Sydney RAAF Active Reserves - Firefighter - Richmond RAAF Base Fire Section.

My Recruit Course was with 3MD Training Packa, Sig/Gunnery Course was done in house with 8/13th in Wangaratta Vic, My M113 Drivers Course was conducted with 3/9SAMR at El Alamein Port Port Augusta SA, my 'B' Vehicle Course was done in house with 8/13th in Albury, mostly throughout North East Victoria.
    Last edited by Grant209; 14th September 2020 at 02:04 PM.
    Grant

Penrith Region
    Sydney NSW.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Grant209 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (14th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is a Sad Day. 15 year old girl dies when struck by a snapped snatch strap.

Stand clear and clear the safety zone.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bidja (27th September 2020), mudnut (27th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Absolutely devastating for those involved and their families and friends.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536