Threaded View

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gags View Post
    I am ex-army and have been involved in engineering numerous vehicles with self-recovery winches and also dedicated Recovery Vehicles. Army has a whole trade stream (Recovery Mechanics AKA Recce Mechs) who's job is to recover vehicles whether they be bogged, battle damaged, or have a malfunction. Army has a Recovery Mechanics Handbook that is basically their bible for recovery and it's actually got some really good guidance in it. Army does not do dynamic recovery using snatch straps but instead uses winches to conduct controlled recoveries. When planning a recovery the Recce Mechs calculate the total pull required which is dictated by a number of things.
    lol . . . spent 9 years as a ARes Armoured Corps . . . then 5 Years in RAAF Reserves as a Firefighter . . .

Did my 'A' Vehicle M113 Drivers Course in 1988, and then my 'B' Vehicle Light Drivers Course in 1989, my 'B' Vehicle Medium Ridged in 1990. The 'B' Vehicle Course to this day, I would have to say has been my 4WD'ing Base knowledge, and for every 5hrs of driving . . . we would had done 1hr of Recovery Operations . . . Tirfor Hand winch, hydrophilic winch, 12/24v electric winch's . . . from mud, sand, creeks, rivers, hills, tank traps, ditches, tree bridge mishaps, side slope recoveries, side roll recovery, vehicle stabilisation etc etc.

Between the 'A' and 'B' vehicles . . . it taught me to respect the capability of my vehicle, look, gauge, find another way, winching is better then braking, as field repairs are a bitch.

The training was next to none, got very dirty, had great fun, and walked away with skills which I still use in my own 4WD activities, in my Firefighting Employment, and in My Medic Rescue Roles, even passing them onto my 21 yr old Son who did his 1st 4WD Winch Recovery this year.
    Last edited by Grant209; 11th September 2020 at 09:17 PM.
    Grant

Penrith Region
    Sydney NSW.