Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Deaths from towballs

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deaths from towballs

I was on the phone today with 4WD Victoria about organising a driving course for my work and the guy i was talking to was telling me that there has been 13 deaths related to snatch straps being hooked over towballs in the last 12 months the last one being about 2 weeks ago this just seems crazy to me are we as 4wheel drivers just becoming complacent or lazy in what we do? Even if half are due to inexperience its still way to many deaths
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

2. The Following User Says Thank You to patrol2.8 For This Useful Post:

Victory (30th August 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how many times the tow ball has snapped off without killing someone.
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Would like to know where he got those figures from. I know it happens but I didn't think it was that often!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the safety threads here on the forum there is plenty of info on deaths. The most recent discussed here was a youn mother who was a passenger in the recovery vehicle her kids were sitting in the back, this i think was in WA

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a reason why there is big RED writing in my Sig line. There are many responsible members here trying to educate the masses.

It's just Dumb! There are plenty of people who simply have NO IDEA.

The addition of the Warning in my Sig line was first done by Doggy i think and i think it is brilliant. I see more and more members adding it to their sig lines and i believe that that RED line probably appears more than 50,000 times across this forum!!!! Could even be double that! Well Done Doggy and thanks for the idea.

To all the newbies that see it when they come here from All Over the World! Awesome! Spread the Word! Brilliant.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 3rd May 2012 at 06:46 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont know where he got the figures from or if the figures are right but even if there not just 1 death from a towball a year is still to many Mudrunnertd i like the warning in your sig might get one of those sticker guys to make one up for me for the rear of my truck may help to get the message across
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think because 4wd's have become so popular and cheap compared to yester year there are far more people with dollars rather than sense!
    I will admit I was one who used my towball with a snap strap and reeved it too rather than straight pulls as a young buck but now after doing rigging as part of my trade as a boilermaker I have more sense and learnt a lot from here I can do safer recoveries.
    People forget the actual forces involved in a recovery and the math used to solve the problems too many people being invincible and gun ho about it where 10 mins a shovel and some traction aides (maxtracks or logs/rocks) would get you through.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to macca86 For This Useful Post:

Sunshine (1st September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seen it done too many times, even when I’ve told people about the dangers they still do it.
    1st G60 Then MQ Now GU

12. The Following User Says Thank You to janderson For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (23rd May 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,089 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    There is a reason why there is big RED writing in my Sig line. There are many responsible members here trying to educate the masses.

It's just Dumb! There are plenty of people who simply have NO IDEA.

The addition of the Warning in my Sig line was first done by Doggy i think and i think it is brilliant. I see more and more members adding it to their sig lines and i believe that that RED line probably appears more than 50,000 times across this forum!!!! Could even be double that! Well Done Doggy and thanks for the idea.

To all the newbies that see it when they come here from All Over the World! Awesome! Spread the Word! Brilliant.
    Cannot take credit for that, it was first posted by Ross of DX Grunt fame............well done Ross
    However I did start this thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ecovery-points to help get the word out there, with a lot of assistance from our members, well done everyone.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (23rd May 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,089 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just moved this thread to here and made it sticky............the more we get this information out there hopefully the more lives will be saved
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woof For This Useful Post:

macca86 (6th May 2012), the ferret (7th June 2012)

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast