Thread: Deaths from towballs

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    This idiot is supposed to be a professional! This is what he does for a living. He'll tell you he's done hundreds of these and never had a problem - until he does.

All he really had to do was let a bit of air out of the tyres and he could have easily driven it out.
    I end up screaming at the screen, "Let Ya Bloody Tyres Down A Bit!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

threedogs (23rd July 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't think I've ever seen a more ridiculous or unnecessary recovery. That vehicle could have been driven out with minimal effort. Joke.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

mudnut (23rd July 2020), MudRunnerTD (6th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was cringing with this recovery. The forces exerted on those towballs must've been extreme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH4wnjfbK2s

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (6th August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I was cringing with this recovery. The forces exerted on those towballs must've been extreme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH4wnjfbK2s
    his is an interesting setup that is for sure. Cringe worthy certainly. That is the second one of his i have watched and he used the same recovery tongue. the fact that it has a tow ball involved is hideous but in this particular instance im not sure he is in the same danger that we are familiar with.

In both videos he places the strap over the top of the top ball and then behind Both side balls. This is a very very different setup to what we know here. I am not smart enough to consider the tensile force involved here but logically the force is being pulled down through the square tube and behind the 2 side balls..... I hate it but not sure it is dangerous. it is almost a half hitch knot over the top. But i hate it.

What i particularly hate though is the sight of a ball in this video at all. It really does lend the watcher to believe that a single ball is a viable recovery device. I would be interested to read what @the evil twin has to say here actually
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudnut (6th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They actually use the towball on this recovery. Lucky the stuck jeep owner had his handbrake off at 12:50 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekEtKeXrjvI

After watching this, I sent him an email containing the image of the Landcruiser tailgate.
    Last edited by mudnut; 11th August 2020 at 11:33 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

jack (11th August 2020), MudRunnerTD (14th August 2020), Rossco (11th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The guy in the previous videos talks about recoveries using his tow balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcv2wy5RKeI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. He still doesn't convince me. How hard would it be to have a proper connector that fits into the receiver. Or do what I normally do - don't use fittings at all - just put the end of the strap in the receiver and put the pin through the holes and through the strap loop. The fewer bits and pieces you have in a recovery means there are less bits to break.

As a "professional" he should be setting a better example.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

mudnut (17th August 2020), Rossco (17th August 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not advocating use of a towball as a hitch point where the towball is anchored with a thread into a receiver. This type of setup puts rise to potential failure of the treaded element from shear and/or shear and a bending moment as the line of action is raised to the thinner section of the towball. Most towballs have an undercut at the base of the thread where it matches the 50mm head, and this becomes the stress riser, especially as depth of undercut, radius size and surface roughness are unknown.

Additionally we have no idea what the towballs are manufactured from, could be recycled chinese bicycle seats - my towball is from a HT 4140 steel, but I would think a lot are made from a far lower grade.

What I would say is that his towball setup looks like its got 3 different sized balls, welded to a solid receiver bar, and fixed to the front of the towbar hitch using a standard 16mm pin. I would say, his weakest point in all this is either the 16mm pin in a double shear loading or the strap itself. The welded towballs are essentially 50mm pegs and the stress is going thru 3 circumferential welds into the solid hitch. The loading diagram for his hitch is not straight forward to determine actual stresses, however it is possible to get this analyzed using a Strand Stress Analysis package for certainty as it takes away the interpretation of the engineer. We don't know the materials, weld detail, weld procedure or welder certification, NDT taken place etc - there is a lot missing in this picture.

So, is the setup any weaker than using a slot in hitch on our standard towball set-up - I doubt it as ultimately the pin is the weakest element. Even if the receiver was a tube, worst case a thin walled tube, its 'probably' still going to fail on the tow strap rather than the hitch - thats my analysis anyway. On the surface it probably looks worse than it is. Whilst the guy using it claims to assess the loading conditions of the recovery - had to laugh at the h/d ear ring he pulled out for use though - and he does execute his recovery operations in seemingly the worst way, I think he is no worse off than what we do when we use a standard hitch and 16mm pin.

Final parting comment, Don't use a snatch strap on a towball for recovery.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudnut (17th August 2020), MudRunnerTD (17th August 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I applaud him for helping those in need as his paid job, but he does use towballs on some of the recovered vehicles after a rudimentary look around it. Unfortunately it just takes one out of a hundred to go wrong. Other people watch his videos and think it's OK to follow his example.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (17th August 2020)

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast