OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Ease My Doubt About Buying a New GU8 - Fuel Economy & 3ltr concerns?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Ease My Doubt About Buying a New GU8 - Fuel Economy & 3ltr concerns?

Hi everyone,

Hubby & I have a budget of around $50k

We were pretty certain beforehand that we'd be buying a Patrol.

That was until we came across all the negative feedback on the 3ltr engines and Nissan refusing to admit liability with so many of the problems/not covering warranty etc.

My concerns over buying a Patrol now are:

3ltr engines not good for long term ownership (this car would need to last us a long time)
    Fuel economy - Everything I've read says Patrols have the worst fuel economy.
    Safety - bad safety ratings compared to competitors.

BUT I still do want one, call me crazy! Nobody can fix the safety ratings (except Nissan) so that's something I need to take into account, but I figured you guys could address the other 2 problems:

3ltr & Fuel Economy.

We'll be travelling Australia for a couple of years, so need a car that can do what we ask of it.

The other option is buying an 05/06 4.2ltr but I refuse to pay close to 60k for a 2nd hand one with over 100k on the clock (unless it really is THAT much difference that it's a justified purchase?)

Totally confused, and the only other option we're looking at is a Prado OR Pathfinder, but the pathy probably isn't going to cut it off road and we'd still have to deal with Nissan warranty issues.

My brain is tired of thinking/worrying about it to be honest! Any option will be better than our current 87 Ford Courier LOL!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With that money mate, I'd be getting a late model, low mileage GU TD4.2t and using the remaining cash to add mods for touring ... best (and I mean BEST) engine in the line up ever - should get into a top notch one for around the late 30's/early 40's mark and the remainder can be spent on decent touring mods to meet your specific needs.

Just my two cents ...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well IMHO it won't matter too much what new vehicle you buy these days. My Ford Ranger 'grenaded' at 101,000 K's. Yep 1,000 K's out of the warranty. Ford made an ex gratia offer to pay for parts and the lease had to pay for labour, towing etc.

As for buying an MY06 TD42. Well it isn't just the engine that 'wears out' on a vehicle. Suspension, Accesories, Interior, Equipment level, Electricals, A/C etc are all going to be 7 years old before you drive it 1 kilometre. Sure they can be fixed or swapped but then you always seem to be dipping in the sky rocket anyway.

I am on my 4th Patrol over many years and I have an MY07 CRD with 110,000 K's on it. Would I buy a series 8 when it comes off lease? No, I would keep this one but the current deal of $58 K Drive Away for an ST is a pretty good start to negotiate from for anyone changing into a Patrol... but... they are old technology, really old technology actually. The ZD30 engine is close to 15 years old and the live axle front end one of the last on the road but that is 'cause you can't kill 'em with a land mine.

The flip side of that tho is... where are you going on your trip? Down the beaches, up the forestry trails, remote waterfalls, Canning Stock Route, Tanami, Great Central etc. Well, almost any 4X will do that. The main Patrol claim to fame is the solid running gear for that really tough rock climb or extremely rutted out track. Will you be doing those types of driving going around Aus?

Fuel?... mine has returned 12.5 LPH averaged over 65,000 K's and uses just shy of 15 LPH towing our camper. I don't think you will find many other trucks of the size that will do noticeably better. Our prev TD42 didn't. It did it easier but also slower

Reliability?... will a new ZD30 CRD last on average say 200,000 K's and 10 years?... can't see why not myself. My only complaint is the Dual mass Flywheel cost of you have clutch issues... and mine has outlasted the POS Ranger heap of crap.

Warranty?... I have had no troubles with Nissan to date (but allow that other people have) and I purchased the extended factory warranty.

Bottom line is that it is a personal thing... you are pretty much going to have to go with your gut. New Patrols are great value for money at the moment as they are reaching end of life in the current form and we are going to be the last market.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ree,Some wise words above, as we've come to expect, from the Evil Twin. I also think that the reliability of the common rail models [as distinct from the DI pre 07 models] is probably not that much different to any other manufacturers high tech diesel. However, as ET has said, the engine is old tech and the auto transmission is even older. These 2 factors particularly affect fuel consumption. eg. on an extended trip where my Patrol has returned 14.5 l/100k a mate's 08 Prado diesel auto has done 10.5.This plus it's 180 l fuel capacity give them an excellent range, and the fact that they have 2 fuel filters also appeals to me.
    With after-market suspension they'll also go almost anywhere a Patrol will go, and their carrying capacity is from memory a bit better. BUT, and it's a big but, they are more expensive, and in my opinion do need the 2inch lift to compete with a standard Patrol. I think some of their underside is still more exposed and liable to off road damage, but sensible use would negate that to a large extent.
    For better fuel consumption and better towing capacity a manual would be my choice of Patrols for touring Australia, but if money was not limited and I was not intending to attempt really rocky off road tracks, I think the D4D Prados with either transmission would be hard to beat.

07 DX CRD Auto Wagon

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ree, my 2 cents worth if I may.
    Get the new GU 8 , It will do everything you want and more. The 3 litre hand grenade is a thing of the past. CRI engines have been around for a while now from all manufacturers and with the advance of the OBD systems most garages can locate and repair faults. If you want one to keep, get the manual, cheaper to buy and you don't have to worry about it again.
    Yes the Patrol is showing its age but we keep buying them and we keep telling Nissan how good they are and the things we like about them. Why would they change it.
    If you want to mod a Patrol in any way shape or form some mad bugger has done it and is willing to share the details. Just look on this site for endless ideas.
    Bigrig's coments are valid, you can make a hell of a fourby with the cash saved getting a second hand 4.2 and modding it.
    If you want a keeper, for the money the Prado just doesn't look the goods to me. ( I guess your post on a Prado forum will tell you different.)

Don't know if my ravings help or confuse you but good luck whichever way you go. The fact your going touring is the most important thing.
    cheers
    bazzad

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

If you are going to do any hard tracks, buy a new Patrol. If you are only going to do touring and the occassional tough tracks buy a dual cab ute.

I had a dual cab ute and it went everywhere but not easily like my CRD Patrol.
    John
    2011 ST Patrol, ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch and IPF spotlights. Snorkel, UHF Radio. ARB air compressor and a front locker. Dual battery, Diff Breathers and 2" OME lift and 16" Black Dynamic Steel rims with muddies

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought gu8 patrol very happy with it. Done two tanks and consistently returning around 11.8 lt 100km. I would stay clear off the autos as they can tend to use more juice. Can't go wrong for a brand new truck drive away at $49k!
    The list of mods is long, the funds are short!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I would buy a GU ZD30 Patrol anytime. Miine is a 2001 totally reliable up to now with 202,000 kms on the clock.

Cheers
    Phil

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would personally buy a new car compared to one 7-8 years old. Although the 4.2 is generally reliable, you can't beat new car warranty and knowing you've owned it from new. You'll know EXACTLY what service history it will have and have control over how its driven from the start of its life. And you'll have 7-8 years head start on all other aspects! As mentioned, the 3.0L 'grenade' problems were a thing of the past, mainly back between 00-02. You may easily buy an older 4.2 that has constant problems and you're struck for big $$!!

As mentioned fuel economy is quite reasonable, I think there may have been some issues with fuel quality as most of the modern CRD are very picky.

I would buy with confidence! Good luck

Rusty

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Talking about fuel economy, we are yet to see anyone having a GU8 with high consumption.....if there is I would love to hear.
    So far the reports I have seen have been very positive. Mine is between 10 and 13l/100 just general driving.I have noticed that when my tanks are full I get heaps better economy as well...strange I know but might be something to do with fuel pressure?????

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast