Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying a gu 2.8

Hey guys

I'm new here so I hope this is where to post this I also did a search but nothing came up. I'm wanting to buy a 2.8 gu as they are fairly cheap and I'm not wanting to buy a 3.0 as they blow up and need somthing reliable. So my question is are they a good reliable motor that is going to last or are they a waste of time.

Thanks in advance AJ

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People with a 2.8 love em sorry can't tell ya 1st hand I got a td42. Don't be scared off by the 3.0 tho with minor mods (NADS) they can be reliable

Tappin N Crappin

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Ajsgq (28th April 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2.8 1999 turbo diesel Gu and Love it, unfortuantely we also have a landcruiser as well and I am selling my GU to pay off some bills and get a small car for school drop offs and pick ups.

We have had no problems with ours at all and I wouldn't sell it otherwise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to paulasandmark For This Useful Post:

Ajsgq (28th April 2012)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2.8's are crack heads lol
    If buying one take it in and have the cooling system thoroughly tested.
    And take it up a nice big steep hill and load it up hard see if the temp rises.
    I had a 2.8 loved it great little motor little more boost and fuel and they go quite well but changed to a 4.2 and then turboed it hoping i'll get a lot more k's out of it..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 97_gq_lwb For This Useful Post:

Ajsgq (28th April 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I have a 2000 GU 2.8 and love it. Had it for about 12 months. Yes the engine is a bit quirky and likes to be revved. My thinking was along the same lines as yours in relation to cost and concern about some of the earlier 3.0. That said, I think the problems were sorted with the later models but that of course means more money (I did see a 2007 with a blown motor but who really knows why that happened?) and there are mods you can do to assist the early 3.0 survival (plenty on that in this forum). I have heard that the 2.8 can have head issues later in life. i was lucky enough to find one with 118,000 Kms on it when we purchased it. Now on 135,000 - no problems as yet. Had a head of modifications and additions so we paid a premium but everything on it was what I wanted to do anyway (and I was sick of looking). I had the timing belt done straight away and the big 120,000 service as we were heading to the NT. Dealer went halves which was handy. My research indicates they are a good little motor. Regular maintenance and oil at 5000 k's is highly suggested. They could do with a bit more grunt but again there are things that can be done to assist that. You won't have the power of the 4.2 but you also won't have the concerns of some of the earlier 3.0's. Cheers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gbab01 For This Useful Post:

Ajsgq (28th April 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks alot guys, now when I buy it (already talked myself out of a 3ltr lol) and do some mods ie lift it and bigger tyres are 35" tires going to be to much for it or would 33" be better ?? And how much can i up the boost?? Thanks again

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry can't help you with the tyre size. Something in the back of my mind says I have read that 33" would be about it. Try a google search. Can't help with the boost either as I leave mine alone. Someone here should know. Cheers.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking along the same lines there cobber. Want to turn this one into a bit of a beast. I want it as an extreme tourer/weekend warrior.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 98 2.8 and think they are fantastic i used to run 35s on mine without to much drama didnt like to take off from a standing start unless you wound it up with the 35s on now run 33s and it seems a lot betterto drive but ive also done all the mods egr catch can chip and a 3in exhaust etc havnt had aproblem with heating yet as above i service it on time every time

also have a 3ltr dx ute for work and havnt had a problem with it yet and it usually has a 900kg water tank or a small excavator hanging off the back of it
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I have a 98 2.8, have owned it for the last 4 years, and now has 280K on the clock. As long as it is looked after, its a very reliable motor. Have toured with 6 people towing a camper trailer, drives a bit like a truck but we love the character.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast