Thread: Patrol Recovery point ?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clunk71 View Post
    So the best thing to do is not get bogged, or get into a situation where a snatch recovery is required in the first place............. oh or don't be lazy and dig yourself out as much as possible so just a nice easy tow is all that's required ........ or a set of maxtrax or similar.

Tap off!!!!!!!
    ... and therein lies most of the problem Clunkster

People have stopped carrying shovels and replaced them with missile launche... oops I mean Snatch Straps
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    ... and therein lies most of the problem Clunkster

People have stopped carrying shovels and replaced them with missile launche... oops I mean Snatch Straps
    Call me what you will but i reckon we're better off not having them........ IMHO!!!!!!

Tap off!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clunk71 View Post
    Call me what you will but i reckon we're better off not having them........ IMHO!!!!!!

Tap off!!!!!!!
    I can think of a dozen other Aussie families who would agree with you there
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok all good and well ,plates, straps and hooks how do you rate them,as said it may suit your application but not someone elses and the bolts, thats what holds a lot of this gear on does every body use high tensile rated bolts or whats found in the shed ? snatch straps seem dangerous to me i like to use a chain but not reef the other out but take up the slack and then give it the berries or if that fails down comes the shovel

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (5th May 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the proven potential for grief when recovery points/equipment (and non-recovery points too) fail, why don't the ADRs get updated to include a clause stating that front/rear recovery points, to a certain factor of GVM (say 3x GVM at least), are mandatory for any vehicle to be classified as an off-road vehicle (such as the MC rating on my x-trail)?

Sure a segment of aftermarket suppliers will get hit, but its better them than some poor bugga being hit who is using provided locations that are not up to the task.

There's still many ways and a lack of knowledge out there that will kill and maim people, but its good if at least one factor can be taken out of the equation.

Places like this forum are a VITAL component of the education of 4wd'ers. Been so interesting to read all that you've had to say. Thank you so much.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AndyExy For This Useful Post:

Benno7 (18th May 2012), DX grunt (18th May 2012), Finly Owner (18th May 2012), growler2058 (18th May 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyExy View Post
    Given the proven potential for grief when recovery points/equipment (and non-recovery points too) fail, why don't the ADRs get updated to include a clause stating that front/rear recovery points, to a certain factor of GVM (say 3x GVM at least), are mandatory for any vehicle to be classified as an off-road vehicle (such as the MC rating on my x-trail)?

Sure a segment of aftermarket suppliers will get hit, but its better them than some poor bugga being hit who is using provided locations that are not up to the task.

There's still many ways and a lack of knowledge out there that will kill and maim people, but its good if at least one factor can be taken out of the equation.

Places like this forum are a VITAL component of the education of 4wd'ers. Been so interesting to read all that you've had to say. Thank you so much.

All that is fine, BUT, How much does a Heavy recovery reduce the rating on a now strained recovery point?? All metal is reduced in strength each time it is strained.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    All that is fine, BUT, How much does a Heavy recovery reduce the rating on a now strained recovery point?? All metal is reduced in strength each time it is strained.

Tim

Hmm... I'm tired. Not sure if I'm making sense now. But I wanted to say that I agree with you Tim. A heavy recovery that plastically deforms the recovery point has weakened that recovery point. Even if it hasn't plastically deformed, each recovery takes a toll on the fatigue life.

How do you account for this? I guess that if the right people are trained they can become recovery point inspection centers. If someone has a seemingly heavy recovery, they can take the vehicle in to have the point professionally inspected. If it's plastically deformed, then it needs to be replaced. If it hasn't, then it just gets logged against that point. Some general rules such as inspections after every 10 recoveries, and a recovery point life of say 100, or 200, or 1000 recoveries and then the point must be replaced due to fatigue considerations.

Some ideas for debate. Without debate to shake the tree the apples won't fall off.

Aircraft components often have inspection intervals defined for these very purposes.

I just wish I could fit a rated front recovery point. But then, that's part of the debate. What exactly is 'rated'

Sleep time zzzzzzzzz

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You still need to be careful - even with a recovery hitch - as the cross-member is not that strong without beefing up

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Will say it only once, mine are rated to suit the 4x4 eg 4.2 manual 3.5 t
    3lt auto 2.5 t
    I then get them destruction tested, if I get less than 15t I redesign them.
    I make them as strong as possible using KISS method
    This is a TOW rating not a LIFTING rating as like SWL, or WWL
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345