Thread: Patrol Recovery point ?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan&tamspatrol View Post
    if that loop at the back of the car is not rated for recovery what is it there for
    It is a recovery point and was addressed as such by Nissan in the past. The animated debate that arises on Forums does so because Nissan have not rated it. The second reason is that many people think "recovery" means a Snatch Strap Recovery

Very, very few manufacturers will supply a rating to a point and certainly Nissan, Toyota, Ford and Iveco (whom I am familiar with to small extent) are ones who pretty much do not. AFAIK they will, at best, sometimes indicate if a point is only suitable for transport tiedown

You can have attachement points and equipment that are perfectly adequate for one type of recovery and unsuitable for another.

You can have recovery points that are approved by organisations or after market manufacturers as well. An example is the approved attachement points and procedures used by Emergency Organisations on their vehicles.

Another example is after market recovery plates such as Benno7 posted. I have them on my vehicle as do many, many others. Sure they are "rated" by the manuf but there is no Aussie or Industry Standard like there is for Shackles and other rigging so what does the rating mean if there is no standard?.

What about the bolts, the point of attachement to the chassis/vehicle and the procedure that will be employed... is it Ok for the tremendous forces of a Snatch recovery... do the users understand sling angle loads and/or mechanical advantages in the rigging... have people assessed the apparent weight of the mired vehicle due to stiction or other factors.

Have I ever or will I ever use "that loop" or the front Tow Hook to assist in manageable loading recovery techniques such as winching or vehicle stabilising, Yes. Have I ever or will I ever use it as a snatch strap attachement point which is an almost unmanageable technique for limiting recovery stresses, Hell No.

Snatch Straps are the most god awful dangerous things we have in our 4X's and also the least understood with no Aust Standard (other than a product Standard) which is were the problem lies.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 28th April 2012 at 10:03 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

AB (28th April 2012), AndyExy (18th May 2012), BigAL.H (28th April 2012), Clunk (28th April 2012), Finly Owner (30th April 2012), MC97GQ (1st May 2012), Sir Roofy (3rd May 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So are the red plates rated recovery points? are they the same ones that are sold in ARB stores?

The ARB sales guy I was talking to said that they are not rated????

edit, I just read ET post above and that answered my question.
    Last edited by Yendor; 28th April 2012 at 10:14 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

BigAL.H (28th April 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    So are the red plates rated recovery points? are they the same ones that are sold in ARB stores?

The ARB sales guy I was talking to said that they are not rated????
    Hiya Cobber,

Good on ARB for that actually.

You can get them from a whole heap of manuf's. Some will stamp a rating on them most won't. My understanding is that the ones with ratings have been calculated using the steel materials specification and the distance from the hole to the plate edge to arrive at a number... or... they can equally just pluck 'em outa their butt.

There is no Standard so nothing they can be held to anyway. Same as a Snatch strap, if an 8,000 jobbie snaps at 4,000 it is just tough.

But you raise an interestiong question in... So what is the point of replacing an unrated hook with an unrated plate?
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Hiya Cobber,

Good on ARB for that actually.

You can get them from a whole heap of manuf's. Some will stamp a rating on them most won't. My understanding is that the ones with ratings have been calculated using the steel materials specification and the distance from the hole to the plate edge to arrive at a number... or... they can equally just pluck 'em outa their butt.

There is no Standard so nothing they can be held to anyway. Same as a Snatch strap, if an 8,000 jobbie snaps at 4,000 it is just tough.

But you raise an interestiong question in... So what is the point of replacing an unrated hook with an unrated plate?
    Hey ET,

That's a good point.

Even if the hook is unrated, it is still a recovery point as stated by Nissan in the owners handbook.

quote "Use the towing hooks only to free a vehicle stuck in sand, snow, mud, etc"

So what best? fit an unrated aftermarket plate? and what if this fail?....or.....Use the hook as recommended by Nissan? and what if this fails?

Why is this so complicated?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would like to thank Big AL for starting this thread, as well all know safety comes first....good on you mate for asking the question
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a gq with a broken recovery hook on the front no idea how it happened but they obviously do break.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its pretty silly of nissan to build a 4x4 and not clearly specify something this important

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan&tamspatrol View Post
    its pretty silly of nissan to build a 4x4 and not clearly specify something this important
    Not really if you think about it........ They can't be held liable or accountable if something tragic happens

Tap Tap Tap with me hammer, saw saw saw with me saw......

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clunk71 View Post
    Not really if you think about it........ They can't be held liable or accountable if something tragic happens

Tap Tap Tap with me hammer, saw saw saw with me saw......
    yea good point

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the feed back guy's i think i have decided to use a tow bar/Hayman Reece recovery hitch on the rear and fit a recovery plate to the front just in case i ever get in a snatch strap recovery situation and use the rear loop in the middle of the bumper if i just need to tow some one.

2nd thoughts if i have a Hayman Reece recovery hitch i would not need to use the rear loop and may just unbolt it all together.
    Last edited by BigAL.H; 29th April 2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: 2nd Thought !

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast