OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: New Series 8 Patrol ST 3L Deisel Worries!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Series 8 Patrol ST 3L Deisel Worries!

Hi, I've been thinking about buying a 4x4 for the last 6 months and am about to pay my deposit on Monday morning for a series 8 ST Patrol. I have spent a lot of time looking at different types of 4x4s but with 7 seats and all the other bits especially the new diff locks it seems to be the best value on the market. I've got quite a lot of extras thrown in playing 3 dealers off each other and we are buying new as we are hoping the car will last us a very long time as its a lot to spend. I've asked for a years extended cover on the warranty thrown in but I've seen a lot of bad reports on the 3L diesel engin going bang around 200'000km and arnt quite sure what to do! Last min nerves as its a lot of money to comit to if it goes bang after 4 years!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe those issues have been well and truely sorted mate. Someone will hopefully verify this ;-)

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

BigAL.H (28th April 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^ correct, nissan has redesigned the entire engine and all previous issues have been fixxed. come to think of it i havent heard of a new 3l going bang at all yet.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johno90 For This Useful Post:

BigAL.H (28th April 2012), Coogs (29th April 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAL.H View Post
    Hi, I've been thinking about buying a 4x4 for the last 6 months and am about to pay my deposit on Monday morning for a series 8 ST Patrol. I have spent a lot of time looking at different types of 4x4s but with 7 seats and all the other bits especially the new diff locks it seems to be the best value on the market. I've got quite a lot of extras thrown in playing 3 dealers off each other and we are buying new as we are hoping the car will last us a very long time as its a lot to spend. I've asked for a years extended cover on the warranty thrown in but I've seen a lot of bad reports on the 3L diesel engin going bang around 200'000km and arnt quite sure what to do! Last min nerves as its a lot of money to comit to if it goes bang after 4 years!
    I am on my second 3L patrol now, well will be when the thing turns up this arvo...and the old was great and the new one will be too. If you go for the extended warranty get the 3 years and 50K one, I did and it saved me a packet. I had the exhaust manifold warp (it was picked up because the egr pipe was cracked) and it was replaced under warranty at about 103000k without any hassle from nissan, this didn't stop the vehicle (it might of if we kept driving it for a few months) but it made a whistle that was annoying. The only other issue with the engine was from the seals around the tappet cover for the injectors leaking oil, this was also done under warranty without hassle from nissan, I think this was done at about 75K and it didn't stop us using the vehicle either but it was an oil leak and I hate oil leaks from new vehicles.
    The old one still goes really well and we had no hesitation to buy another one and like you this one has to last a few more years than what we would like but I have no problems with that.

Just to give you a comparison, when we went on a trip across the country via the great central road and plenty highway there was our 3l patrol, a new 200 series diesel cruiser on road tyres, a 120 prado and a rodeo dual cab ute. By the time we got to Kalgoorlie ( well just outside of it anyway) the prado had a blown turbo and had to be trucked to Bunbury and the cruiser had to be trucked as well because the right rear brake had failed and the whole assembly had to be replaced as it shit itself and they also replaced the rest of the brake pads as they were stuffed as well. The rodeo was making all sorts of noises from around the alternator as it sits really low like the 2 toyotas and was full of mud, but it still soldiered on and made it to bunbury and back to the gold coast under it's own steam. The patrol had a screw fall out of the drivers side door pocket!! thats it..

So would I hesitate in buying a patrol....nup...but thats me, and I can buy a lot of accessories/diesel for the difference in price to a cruiser.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Greg....and soon to be a new patrol owner...again...today....hurry up 5 o'clock......you can probably tell I'm just a little excited......

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregs For This Useful Post:

BigAL.H (28th April 2012), GreenGQ (28th April 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No 'grenade' problems reported at all with the CRD which was from about '07 onwards. I would buy with confidence and enjoy your new Patrol
    Rusty

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty86 For This Useful Post:

BigAL.H (28th April 2012)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot guys, thats put my mind at rest,i will look forward to paying my deposit on monday morning and becoming a Patrol owner !

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigAL.H For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (28th April 2012), Rusty86 (28th April 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the Series 8 have a 5 warranty ex factory as well don't they? If not purchase the extra 3 years factory warranty as well. Just make sure it is factory extended and not dealer.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

BigAL.H (24th September 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a look at nissans warranty and it looks like it is still 3 years or 100,000km. I will be getting the extended warranty in the future as well. I think the sevicing is capped for 6 years or 120,000km. Atleast we know what we will be paying up front. Doesn't change the fact that it is still bloody expensive for what we get..ah well I suppose that is the sacrifice we have to make with having the best 4wd out there..hehehehe.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gregs For This Useful Post:

BigAL.H (24th September 2012)