Thread: lightforce spotlight covers/filters

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question lightforce spotlight covers/filters

Ok guys, I thought I would start this thread cause I couldn't find the answers (or wasn't looking hard enough lol)

Does anyone have the combo filters on their spotties and how good are they. Also how well do the coloured ones work.

Is it worthwhile to stick a combo filter on each light or is one enough because if I do go down this path I still want a decent spread of light to the sides.

On the old patrol I had a set of the cheap..supercheap auto 55w small oval spotlights mounted to the bullbar to give me better spread of light to the sides (unfortunately I didn't take any pics of this) and they did throw out quite a bit of light for a $30 set of lights. These were on the patrol for our last trip to innamincka, strezlecki, flinders, tibooburra, noccundra, quilpie and back home to maryborough and they survived, I thought the cheap nasty brackets they came with would fall apart but they are still good.

Cheers

Greg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a full spot and a spread they work well i had a spot/spread ages ago but cant rember how they were one tip i can give you is i pop rivited mine on so they cant fall off or be stolen easily.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

gregs (27th April 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a set in Clear and a set of Combo in Blue on 220 Roo Lites and Light Force/Roo Lites different poo similar pong IMHO.

I have given up on trying to get a decent spread out to the side. No matter what I have tried there is always some sort of irritating 'pattern' of darker areas in the beam and the blue tint seems to chop about 25% of the light output so I only leave them on around town for the pose value.

No filter means a darker "donut hole" effect appears as you adjust from spot to spread.
    I tried them both aimed down the road with one as spot and one towards spread - beam is too narrow and the spread ends up "U" shaped
    I tried both aimed outside a few degrees and adjusted towards spread with the 'inside' of one beam overlapping the darker donut patch of the other but that gave a weird effect of two very bright patches one in front of the vehicle and another down the road.
    So then I started fiddling with filters...
    Diffuser Filters give a weird couple of darker "spokes" when adjusted for spot and a dapple when adjusted towards spread.
    Colour filters wise... Blue Filters just plain suck and I admittedly haven't tried orange.

These style lights are kickrrse in one application and that is as spots. Probably the only thing better is the old style Bull Lamps

Any adjustments towards spreads, coloured filters, diffuser filters or combo's thereof are at a compromise to the performance and I certainly haven't had any success other than running a pair of smaller lights deliberately offset to illuminate the table drains. With that combination I get an excellent result
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

gregs (27th April 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I run my pair of 240's with clear spot covers on them and the smaller 170's with crystal blue spread covers angled out towards the side they give me a good spread of light and the crystal blue covers do work well on the beach

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

gregs (27th April 2012), HammerBuilder (27th April 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies fellow forumites, greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Greg

edit...now I have some thinking to do and possibly a similar setup to what I had before, 2 up the middle and 2 to the sides.
    Last edited by gregs; 27th April 2012 at 11:26 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want good spread...LED light bar omg there amazing! leave my 220 roo lites for dead!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mitchgq, thanks mate. I have thought about getting a light bar but the cost has been the killer but as they have come down in price I will wait and see a mates first as he has a small one mounted on his Terrano so will hopefully get to see it this weekend and find out where he got his from.

Cheers

Greg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I have 225 Lightforce with blue covers one spot and one spread beam which work really well. It does take a little adjusting to get it right but after a lot of studying forums and talking with several 4x4 shops decided to go for the setup I have.
    All the best John.