Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 1999 2.8TD Timing Belt replacement

Hi Guys,

Great site which I stumbled across yesterday while looking for help with timing belt change on a 99 2.8TD caused by the tensioner pulley deciding that "it's time was up". I have since managed to strip down and install the new pulley and belt, but when turning the crank over by slowly hand (to be on safe side!) - we get to the point where it wont go any further. Belt is genuine Nissan and all marks lines etc look to be correct. If anyone can offer me some advice, then I would be really grateful?
    Thanks, Paul
    Last edited by 99gu; 27th September 2010 at 05:25 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Paul, can't help you on this one. I thought 2.8's were chain but just found out after reading this that 2.8's are belt, zd30's are the chain and td42's are gears. Someone here should sort u out soon.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mate, when you say the tensioner was stuffed, did the motor stop? If you have the belt on the correct way around and havn't turned the crank at all and have all the timing marks including the one on the crank all correct, then it should be fine. Don't try and start it unless you can get 4 free rotations by hand. I have a drawing if that helps. It sounds to me that the valve timing is out and the valve is hitting the piston, if the motor stopped because of the tensioner failing, you may be in deep poo. Lets hope not. Oh, and make sure you loctite the crank bolt, or you will need a new crank soon.

Last edited by the ferret; 30th September 2010 at 10:41 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the ferret For This Useful Post:

99gu (10th October 2010), EddieOlsen (15th May 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Feret,
    Thanks for the reply and drawings. Unfortunately the motor did come to a stop (daughter was borrowing the vehicle at the time!). When we got it home, I took the timing belt cover off and found the stuffed tensioner pulley bearing and that the belt was obviously loose, but would have sworn that the belt markings aligned with the timing marks prior to removing the belt so I was hoping for the best. When we turned it over hand we found what felt like the piston hitting a valve which is why I submitted the post in case I has something wrong with the timing.

Anyway, since submitting the post I've had a mobile mechanic out who has confirmed that we had the timing right and is suggesting a workshop strip down is now required to access the etent of the damage.

Does anyone happen to know any good mechanics in Perth (preferably north of river) do you or have an idea of costs for an exchange unit (clutch is good as it was only done 6 months ago) or what other options are available?

Appreciate the help and the great site.

Paul

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I thought, the damage was done when it stopped, you may be lucky with just a few bent valves, but there is also possible piston damage, you wont know till you take the head off, it also depends on what speed it was doing when it failed, quite often there is a strong smell of the belt melting when the tensioner or idler is failing, but not everyone knows what that smell means. You may just need some pistons and a head job, cheaper than exchange. If you source any parts, try Nizzbits on here, best prices and service I have found.
    I cant help with workshops N O R, but someone will, best of luck, cheers.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    99gu

In regards to your timing belt, the exact thing has happen to me. Also live in perth NOR, wondering if you had found anyone to work on it yet?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mate,

Try Robson Brothers in Welshpool I know its not NOR but they do a good job and charge accordingly.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Really helpful.