Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Powered Lantern

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WarmWhite...ht_3551wt_1141
    I have a 6m spreader bar on my tarp set-up so I'm gonna run it right along the top. Can't wait to try it out!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have a square speader bar, magnetic tape, that is, like a fridge magnet with adhesive on one side, might make a good way of sticking that strip to your spreader bar. You'll need to wrap the cable around the bar or similar or the weight of the wire will probably peel it off.

Should be a lovely light. Very little shadow etc. Be interesting to know how many amps?

What I have noticed with having a well lit tarp and reasonably spacious tarp is that our primary school age daughter likes to colour in etc under it - and it can turn out to be a bit of a kid magnet because they gravitate to the well lit area to play. That isn't always a good thing from my perspective, but she enjoys it, so I deal with it :-)
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LED's all the way. I have nearly 2.5m of 800 lumen LED on my awning and it's sweet. I will be making up some movable strips for around the campsite / tent with 9v setup. They will last upto 72 hours constantly on but alonger with intermittent use.

The new ones that I am making will have the option to be tied up, hooked on, staked in the ground etc so they will be more versatile
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, think I will wrap some led strip around my gaslight !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Waza For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (30th April 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 5m LED strip arrived the other day, hooked it up to the power pack and was blown away! Just need to hook up a dimmer now... might be a bit too bright otherwise. Not sure how many amps are being drawn... I'll get back to you on that.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking at my favourite Hong Kong based cheap-stuff site for a Lantern solution myself. They have a section dedicated to camp lanterns. http://dx.com/c/sports-outdoors-1699...r-lantern-1634
    Don't be put off by some of the really low prices, most of the stuff on there is sold at retail here under other names for a lot more.

Site is also full of DIY electronics parts for those who want to mess with Light Strips and more.
    Note: There are some NSFW (not safe for work) sections on there so tread with caution

Best part is almost all of the stuff on there is free shipping (albeit rather slow).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed about 70 feet of high-density (18 LED's/ft) 5050 LED strips in my new office. They are white only, not 3-color. They produce a LOT of light. I'm using a single strip to illuminate a 2ft high double-sided frosted plexiglas strip at the tops of our walls. Each linear foot of LED strip is illuminating 4 square feet of frosted plexi, and it looks great. Powering them in large quantities can be a challenge. My complete installation draws about 16A at 12VDC, and I'm using a power supply that was not intended for LED's. It's important to understand the driving requirements for these LED strips. They are NOT just LED's. Bare LED's require dedicated constant-current drivers matched to the requirements of the specific LED product. These strips do not. The strips are composed of segments consisting of multiple LED's in series along with a current limiting resistor designed to allow the unit to operate from an unregulated 12VDC supply. This is convenient, but somewhat inefficient. It also prevents you from using most dedicated LED driver products to control them. This is compounded by the problem that virtually no commercial LED drivers are available that can handle enough power to run long lengths of these strips.
    Last edited by ryanlh; 1st August 2012 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Stay away from flouros its old school now. I'll PM you. LED is the go more light less power, why would you use flouro if thats the case, Also have 120 LEDs a mt on the awning in cool white.This 10 watt flood light will amaze you .3 of these use less power than a versa or piranha flouro and your campsite will look like the Queen Mary has docked
    800 lumens each
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 1st August 2012 at 05:02 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hubby and I have embraced LED lighting in our tent. We have put sticky back velcro on the frame of our tent and have stuck the other side (the fluff) to the back of the light strip, plug it in to the battery pack on the trailer, stick it up and hey presto! We do have in-line switches, but I really do have dimmer envy now!!!

We need a few more, a bit for the bedroom area of our tent to read by and one for the toilet, but they are so easy to make, I even managed to do some of the soldering myself!!

I totally agree, LED is the way to go. Ours roll up really small and are soooooo bright!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sorry AB those Flouro are old hat now try these led jobs .I can run 3 of these and still use less power than a flouro.

and yes I do sell them with 5mt lead and waterproof inline switch
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast