Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steinbauer Chip-Opinions Required

Hi Guys

I have a 2005 3L T/D Patrol which needs a bit more oomph to tow a 2.4T (loaded) caravan and am considering the addition of a Steinbauer chip, 3" s/s exhaust system plus a Safari snorkel to get a bit more get up and go.Have received good advise that a EGT and Boost Pressure gauge won't be required as the S/chip reduces throttle if temp. get up and B/p gauge not needed for my model .
    Also have good reports that Mannell Motors would do a good job on this upgrade. Further opinions on this course of action would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Barwyn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The set up sounds good though i would still fit boost gauge and egt specially if towing. fitting a 3" will up the boost so you will want to fit a Dawes valve , but it will a good set up for towing when done correctly. I’m sure if you took it to mannell they will know what will need doing however i can’t vouch for their work as I’ve never used them myself
    Last edited by megatexture; 26th April 2012 at 09:57 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

Barwyn (27th April 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barwyn, the Steinbauer has no egt reference but the safety is from the pedal position input. If it sees a wot for 60 seconds it basically turns the chip off and the ignition needs to be cycled for it to start working again. We have found that with the standard setting on the Steinbauer egt's get way too high before this happens. I would definitely recommend fitting a pyro with this combo. You should get good results though.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Barwyn

I have a 2003 GUIII 3.0L Auto. The steinbauer and exhaust upgrade was fitted before i perchased the car.
    I am yet to install the NADS as i am slowly saving up but will start soon with catch can.
    I am very pleased with the cars towing power. I have a 2 ton Ski boat and i pulls with ease.
    The biger hills do slow me down a little back down to 70kmh. Happy to stay at that speed and not over work the car.

Hope this info helps

Jimmy

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Megatexture
    Feedback much appreciated,been quoted $600-800 for an ETG ( not fitted ) and $300-400 for a boost gauge (fitted) how do these prices sound in your opinion ?

Cheers
    Barwyn

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi wat4
    Thanks for the input,much appreciated,will take your thoughts into consideration.

Regards
    Barwyn

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jimmy
    Thanks for the confirmation of my choice based on your experience,good luck with your saving and enjoy the skiing. I'm skiing too-spending the kids inheritance !!
    Regards
    Barwyn

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Barwyn , my cost outlay about 5 months ago now , egt guage 180$ and boost 80$ and 25$ at local exhaust shop to weld in bungs to exhaust dump and intercooler pipe . did fitting all myself so labour not factored in but all done in a weekend . guage pillar pod 115$ total = 400$ with no labour .. Your quote seems harsh to me . goodluck .
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to boots For This Useful Post:

Barwyn (29th April 2012)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barwyn View Post
    Hi Megatexture
    Feedback much appreciated,been quoted $600-800 for an ETG ( not fitted ) and $300-400 for a boost gauge (fitted) how do these prices sound in your opinion ?

Cheers
    Barwyn

i agree with boots sounds a rich even if its digital where did you get that price from ?. if you can source some decent prices and arnt mechanicaly minded im sure some one would help you out from the forum, depending on your location
    got my boost for about $80 fitting myself and fitting wouldnt cost 320$of labour
    Last edited by megatexture; 27th April 2012 at 11:53 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

Barwyn (29th April 2012)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barwyn View Post
    Hi Megatexture

Cheers
    Barwyn
    Barwyn,
    I justed pulled the order form for my guages from Rocket Industries. It is for an Autometer ultralite 0-900 deg C, au4344-m egt (pyro) gauge $283 +gst and an ultralite au4304 0-35 boost gauge $88.96 + gst. This was all done back in 2007 so the prices will have changed a little I would imagine. Are they doing the whole installation, and are they welding the fitting into the boost pipe for the boost gauge as well because if this is included then the price would be about right going on about $80-90 per hour for labour costs.

But like boots said if you can get the local exhaust shop to put the fittings into the pipes for you and you fit the gauges yourself then you will save a bundle of cash...or surely you have a mate that can help out even for a carton of beer or bottle of rum etc..

Greg
    Last edited by gregs; 28th April 2012 at 09:40 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gregs For This Useful Post:

Barwyn (29th April 2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast