Thread: body lift.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

body lift.

alright i have a 91 patrol rb30 with a 2inch sus lift with 30mm spacers. i'm going to do a body lift next fornight to stop my 35's just touching. i have already cut my rear quarters and don't really want to cut my front guards hence the body lift. i know that i have to modify the gear levers. extended brake lines? castor correction? i have read the body lift instructions but it doesn't cover what i want to know.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive got a 4" lift 9suspension)and havent modded the gear stick at all?

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    steel brake lines will have to be released from the chassis at the front near the engine bay and they can usually take the strain of a 2 inch body lift, if you are worried, you can cut and install rubber hoses to suit to make up the difference. rubber or other brake lines shouldnt need to be touched unless you plan on going higher in the suspension as they are already at their peak, and you are probably already putting some strain on them from time to time.

castor correction should have been done when you put in the extra 30mm coil spacers, if it was not done, your truck isnt safe and shouldnt be on the road. castor has a huge impact on steering responsiveness and vehicle control especially when put in an emergency situation.

to avoid too much scrubbing from 35's on the front guards you can move the radius arms forward, marks adaptors have engineered spacer plates designed specifically for this purpose, but they do not eliminate rubbing on full flex or full lock, a guard chop does, and if done properly, is almost impossible to detect unless you know what to look for

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for the body lift

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for the body lift you will need to alter the hole that the gear stick comes through or get the gear sticks bent slightly

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks stets and castor correction for 2-3 inches or 3-4 with the 2 inch lift 30mm spacers and 50mm body lift?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    body lift has nothing to do with castor. suspension lift does. standard castor for a gq can safely cope with up to 2 inches and still maintain its stability and control, any suspension lift over 2 inches shoudl have the castor corrected, either by ; changing bushes to castor correcting bushes, installing castor correction plates, replacing your front radius arms with snake or superior engineering arms (which correct castor) or drop boxes. you will have to modify your steering shaft that goes from the steering wheel to your power steering box though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stets For This Useful Post:

deteradz (25th April 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    should i have put longer shocks in also?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends on the shocks you are using now, if you got shocks suitable for a 2 inch lift then yes you should have put in shocks, when you added 30mm coil spacers. i am running a 2 inch lifted gq with superior superflex arms up front, these move my diff forward a fraction, letting me fit 33's with out any scrub, they corrected my castor, and i got far better articulation out of them, my front end now flexs bump stop to shock drop on both sides and i am looking into fitting shocks that will be more suitable for the superflex arms. i already have extended brake lines, ihave had braided lines made up that are 150mm longer than standard for both front and back. even though i am only running a 2 inch lift my setup flexs really well and i was straining my brake lines so this had to be done. a set of superflex arms as well as using a marks spacer adaptor should help you fit 35's with out scrubbing at the back, but you might find that you will scrub the back lip of the bullbar under full flex. this is even easier to attack with a grinder.

remember though that moving your front diff forward lengthens your front driveshaft, and moving it too far forward can cause it to foul on cross member more easily or separate from itself.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks heaps stets giving me alot to think about. just ordered my castor correction bushes, extended brake lines. might just trim a inch off the front gaurds just to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast