User Tag List

Thread: Body lift vs Suspension lift

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Body lift vs Suspension lift

Hi guys, I am pretty new to 4x4 game, still trying to wrap my head around things..... can someone please explain to me the pros and cons of body and suspension lift, and the ratio between the two? I just bought my first GQ Patrol and already love it more than the road bike and the boat put together! lol ......I got the ride with 4 inch suspension lift, which kinda makes me guess I am in trouble with getting a roadworthy on it.......at the moment I am running 31 inch all terrains but want to upgrade to something bigger 33 or 35.... but like I said got to pass a roadie first! ..... also anyone know how to get around 4 inch lift to get a roady?
    Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there really is only one good benefit from a body lift, fitting bigger tyres without raising the centre of gravity that much. period.

for all else suspension lift does the job. being smart about what components you use is far better than going down to arb and saying i want a 4in kit. but, you already have that anyway.

33's will fit easily, minimal scrubbing under extreme articulation.
    you will need to move the front diff forward using a radius arm spacer from marks or otherwise. or you can guard chop. to fit 35's

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stets For This Useful Post:

PyroMANIAC (26th April 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a body lift in my old GQ and would never do it again.

There's alot of mucking around,it's not a case of just throw in some body spacers.

You also need to lower the radiator mounts,rasie the bullbar and rear bar.

Also you need to cut the floor around the High/Low range gear stick otherwise it won,t go into low range right and keep jumping out.

As stets said your 4 inch spring lift will be fine,im running a five inch spring lift in mine with 33's could run bigger if i cut the gaurds a touch.
    A GOOD MATE WILL BAIL YOU OUT OF JAIL, A BEST MATE WILL BE SITTING NEXT TO YOU SAYING YEP WE F**KED UP

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chester For This Useful Post:

PyroMANIAC (3rd May 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I ran a 2" body lift with a 2" spring lift and ran 35's without em touching the guards i have a ute and love my body lift its the ole horses for courses

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PyroMANIAC View Post
    Hi guys, I am pretty new to 4x4 game, still trying to wrap my head around things..... can someone please explain to me the pros and cons of body and suspension lift, and the ratio between the two? I just bought my first GQ Patrol and already love it more than the road bike and the boat put together! lol ......I got the ride with 4 inch suspension lift, which kinda makes me guess I am in trouble with getting a roadworthy on it.......at the moment I am running 31 inch all terrains but want to upgrade to something bigger 33 or 35.... but like I said got to pass a roadie first! ..... also anyone know how to get around 4 inch lift to get a roady?
    Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
    get it engineerd or find a dodgy mechanic

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a 50 mm body lift on my MK.

I put the lift in to lift my LPG tank above the chassis

After I done the body lift - I started to blow alternators due to water ingression. I relised that I now had a 50 mm gap that allow water to flow stirhgt onto the Alt. I installed a "curtian"of rubber between the cahssis and body, and have not killled any more alternators.
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain