OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full HID Retro conversion. (Not just bulbs and ballasts)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good mate, I'm glad you've spent the time and effort in doing it properly! I hate those dodgy ones.

Few questions,have you been flashed on low beam yet? I've noticed on a couple cars that have factory HIDs, the cut off is alot more defined, even more so than yours.

Whats the point of the angel eyes? Just looks?

and the burning question.... how much?

Cheers, Teno.
    Last edited by teno45; 1st May 2012 at 08:27 PM.
    Teno's Troll...
    08 CRD ST. 2" lift, 33' Maxis Bighorns, Snorkel, ARB Deluxe Bar with Foggies, 12000lbs Avenger Mako TDS with Synthetic rope.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mick,

Do you know if vehicles built after a particular manufacturing date have to have water spray nozzles fitted to HID headlights? And if so which one? I'm thinking of following your lead but am a little concerned about receiving a lovely defect notice from our friends in blue.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GU_POOTROL View Post
    Hey Mick,

Do you know if vehicles built after a particular manufacturing date have to have water spray nozzles fitted to HID headlights? And if so which one? I'm thinking of following your lead but am a little concerned about receiving a lovely defect notice from our friends in blue.

Thanks!
    No mate I have no idea. In all honesty you wouldn't even know there HIDs from looking at them as there not even as blinding as some factory HIDs and there not blue.

I was at a car accident the other night and had my lights on and was talking to police for half an hour and we where standing in front of my 4wd when we where talking and nothing at all was said about the lights. Though one looked at the roof and asked if I was scared of the dark.

The only comments I've had from others are there not as glarey as factory halogens but give out heaps better light and the other one is how much to fit them. I used to get flashed regularly with my halogens because of the height of my 4wd but since these have been fitted that has stopped.

Cheers Mick.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mick. View Post
    Well I know how much people are liking HIDs these days and I know there are a lot of people just fitting HIDs to there conventional lights which aren't designed for HIDs. So I thought this mod might suit people who want HIDs like what you see in all the new prestige cars. This mod will look factory and the beam will be focused not just spread everywhere like the EBay HID kits that are getting around blinding everyone now.

This is not just a straight bulb swap and add ballast though. I'm hopping the kit I've bought will be pretty straight forward though and I've also done a lot of reading on a forum which is all about HIDs. There's also a buildup on the patrol forum which is where I got the idea.

I'll also be adding Angel Eyes for some bling. I've got 3 options there but until the HID kit turns up I don't know which ones I'll use. I'll also post links to all the places I've sourced parts from to help others if there interested. As I don't want my 4wd off the road while I'm doing the mod and do a bit of night driving I thought I'd buy some new aftermarket headlights to fit the kit too. The other reason for this is I wanted series 2 headlights for my patrol as they look more bling then the standard series 1 lights.

Now for the links. These are the guys I got the headlights off. Make sure if you ever purchase headlights you order ones for a right hand drive and this also goes for this whole conversion. The actual protectors need to be ordered for right hand drive also.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300654794...84.m1439.l2649

Now the kit comes with options which I'll list below what I ordered which is suited for a GU patrol. For other makes and models you can email them. These guys are very very helpful and give you all the details on how to install everything.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237

What I ordered out of that kit are below.

Morimoto 5five 50 watt ballasts x 2
    Bulbs are new phillips 85122 + D2S x 2
    Right hand drive reflectors x 2
    Orbit shrouds x 2
    Wiring loom H4/9003

These where recomended to me from heliflyer73 on the patrol forum and also by the guys at Retrofit. There is some pictures on the patrol forum which he has posted up.

Now for the angel eyes I did order a set off those guys but I've also ordered a set from 2 other places as I couldn't really work out which ones will work and what wont. I also didn't want to wait 2 weeks for a set to come from the States and only to have to wait another 2 weeks for more so for the sake of a few extra dollars I ordered 3 types and what I don't use on mine will probably end up being used on another set of lights I may do down the track.

These are the links for the Angel eyes I bought.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=103

http://retro-solutions.net/product-i...es-pid550.html

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...specs%2FAE.htm

These last ones have the option of changing to any colour you want so if you want them the same colour as you car you can within reason of coarse. I'd had a few to many drinks when I ordered them.

do you think this could be posssible with gq headlights

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes mate it can be done and I'll tack down some info on it shortly and post up for you.

Cheers Mick.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lately I'm been getting a bit of interest with this conversion from people on the forums and people who have seen my lights in person who want this conversion done but aren't confident in doing it themselves. So I've been getting a few people asking if I would do it for them.

So if I get enough interest from people I may start doing these conversions and set up a vendors section if the interest can warrant it. My boss has told me I should start doing this on the side and I have full access to our workshop. Being that I'm a painter by trade and have access to a spray booth and paint, custom colour reflectors is also an option.

I've had a bit of a think about a way of doing this so people aren't without the lights too. The options would be you could send a core deposit with the price of the lights and when I get your old lights (not chiped or scratched) your core deposit would be refunded and those lights would be used for the next coversion and so on. I couldn't use damaged lights so they would have to be in good nick.

The other option mainly for people who have the older style lights such as series one is you could buy some new lights off ebay and they could be converted. I cant really do final figures yet and depending on what options you choose the cost would be around $700 onwards depending on freight, aussie dollar, bulb and ballast options, if you need lights and if you want painted reflectors etc.

So if anyone is interested let me know and if I get enough interest I'll go ahead with this.

Cheers Mick.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mick. View Post
    Lately I'm been getting a bit of interest with this conversion from people on the forums and people who have seen my lights in person who want this conversion done but aren't confident in doing it themselves. So I've been getting a few people asking if I would do it for them.

So if I get enough interest from people I may start doing these conversions and set up a vendors section if the interest can warrant it. My boss has told me I should start doing this on the side and I have full access to our workshop. Being that I'm a painter by trade and have access to a spray booth and paint, custom colour reflectors is also an option.

I've had a bit of a think about a way of doing this so people aren't without the lights too. The options would be you could send a core deposit with the price of the lights and when I get your old lights (not chiped or scratched) your core deposit would be refunded and those lights would be used for the next coversion and so on. I couldn't use damaged lights so they would have to be in good nick.

The other option mainly for people who have the older style lights such as series one is you could buy some new lights off ebay and they could be converted. I cant really do final figures yet and depending on what options you choose the cost would be around $700 onwards depending on freight, aussie dollar, bulb and ballast options, if you need lights and if you want painted reflectors etc.

So if anyone is interested let me know and if I get enough interest I'll go ahead with this.

Cheers Mick.

if you end up doing one for a gq put up a few pics i would def do it myself, might do it when i have some spare coin

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to follow through with this idea and make kits for them and sell as a package, I will be very keen for a pair

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No dramas mate. What series is yours and do you need new lights or are you wanting to use your old ones (exchange) meaning I buy a set from the wreckers which is included in the orginal purchase which I fit the kit to. I then send them to you and then you send me your old ones provided there no chips and I then refund the original cost of the lights from the wreckers. .

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers Mick.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a set of hids in my lights atm, i got the crystal lenses what would you charge for gq set up from scratch?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast